• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
    Indeed, plenty to find isn't there? Unlike a remoaners mindset which is usually
    I'm quids in, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I'm quids in, mate.
      So am I.

SIGNIFICANTLY quids in.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        So am I.

SIGNIFICANTLY quids in.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Its just Old Greg trying to be contentious again in a desperate attempt to make himself seem interesting. He takes the whole idea of Devil's Advocacy to a bizarre section of the "spectrum".
          Over time you will learn to take his posts with the required amount of salt.

Your desperate attempt to look like a no-nothing bozo is a flying success.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Your desperate attempt to look like a no-nothing bozo is a flying success.
            High praise indeed from someone that has fully mastered the notion.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              All of these problems either emerged or accelerated during the period that we've been within the EU. The connection between these things is complicated and arguable. As is the economic outlook both pre- and post-Brexit. Anyone, I'd suggest, that refuses to accept the potential benefits of Brexit in the long-term, many of which are not economic, is overly emotional about the EU, as is someone that refuses to accept the potential costs in the short-term (overly emotional about the UK). I'd freely admit that some of the short-term costs were guaranteed (e.g. depreciation of Sterling), whereas many of the long-term benefits are contingent on how we (and the rest of the EU) now position ourselves. But, let's be clear that the status quo was not working for a significant majority in the UK, and the EU has been a factor in that, both directly (e.g. unfettered free movement) and indirectly (e.g. as an excuse for HMG to ignore the big questions).

The reason that the OECD, IMF, BoE, and countless other economic thinktanks exagerate the costs of leaving and overstate the benefits of remaining is that, fundamentally, they lack imagination; more specifically, they lack a broad imagination. They have neither the desire nor the spirit to re-imagine some of the fundamental assumptions that have emerged during a period of unfettered globalisation; assumptions about trade, identity, the distribution of wealth and the value of things that are produced and consumed. This is why, for example, central banks wholeheartedly embrace mechanisms that increase money supply while fully understanding that capital appreciation reinforces the worst excesses of globalisation and economic inequality. In the short-term, some of these excesses will be reinforced by Brexit. In the long-term, it depends how we respond; where and how we invest to offset the risks posed by Brexit and whether and how we show the foresight to reform.

This may all sound rather Jeremy Corbyn, but it isn't. I'm a strong believer in a parliamentary democracy that represents a majority. I could opine on your technical points about debt and productivity (I might still ), but consider this for a moment. As things stand, parliamentary democracies across the West are becoming increasingly detached from their electorates, and the potentially profound (social, economic, existential) consequences of this detachment - most purely espoused by the EU - are becoming increasingly clear from the politicians that these electorates are now seeking to promote. Unless this is reversed, by making politicians and institutions more representative - more local - no amount of productivity growth, QE or GDP is going to address the existential questions that are now being posed. You have a technocratic world-view. This is why you focus on the current account, productivity, debt/deficit, and so on. All of these things are important, but they are not the only important things. You either ignore or dismiss non-technocratic arguments as "stupid", "moronic", "cretinous" (choose your profanity ). You are an accomplished technocrat, I'm sure, but you appear to suffer a dearth of imagination that is common among technocrats.
              Beautifully put.....!

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                Beautifully put.....!
                And as we have learned, all of those organisations collectively know the square root of jack tulip.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                  Im still waiting to learn how the UK is meant to be successful if its biggest market is suddenly taken away, given the obvious weaknesses in the economy like a small industrial sector, twin deficits and excessive debt.
                  All I hear is the braying of donkeys who've fooked up their own children's prospects.
                  Not going to affect me much, so I will just sit back and laugh.
                  We will soon have a new trade agreement with India and we will export extraordinary amounts of contractor services there.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                    We will soon have a new trade agreement with India and they will export extraordinary amounts of contractor services here.
                    FTFY...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      FTFY...
                      I suspect m0n1k3r was attempting humour.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X