• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Star Trek Beyond

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Beyond

Watched it at the weekend. Meh, not as good as the first two of this set. Still just about felt like a movie but definitely drifting towards feature length episode material.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Watched it at the weekend. Meh, not as good as the first two of this set. Still just about felt like a movie but definitely drifting towards feature length episode material.
    Another one for the rarbg queue then

Comment

Friend went to see it the day after a root canal at the dentist.

Apparently the Dentistry was more entertaining.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I loved it. Thought it was as good as the previous one (which I also loved).
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Saw it on the weekend, the plot is predictable and doesn't really add anything new or exciting

All recent sci-fi or superhero films follow the same formula

* Lead character(s) has/have some personal issues / death in family / relationship break-up / nervous breakdown / mid-life crisis etc.
          * Aliens / crazy billionaire decides to invade earth / invade pacifist alien planet / destroy earth for some bizarre vendetta / snub / general crazy reason
          * Lead characters work together to defeat crazy billionaire aliens in the process leveling entire cities / destroying planets / spaceships etc killing billions with nobody caring
          * Lead characters are almost defeated but against the odds they identify some weakness which kills all the baddies (playing a certain song over the radio, or flying a ship precisely into a specific weak point that nobody thought to defend)
          * Everyone is happy / earth saved / hooray
          * Film earns trillions at the box office, spawning sequels with the same generic plot

Comment

So Idris Elba is the new Eric Bana/Benedict Cumberbatch human looking baddie.

Formulaic is right, and they've only done three new films so far. Maybe they need another reboot.

The older I get the more I appreciate the very first Star Trek movie, which at the time I thought was dull as far as baddie's go (V'ger).
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              So Idris Elba is the new Eric Bana/Benedict Cumberbatch human looking baddie.

Formulaic is right, and they've only done three new films so far. Maybe they need another reboot.

The older I get the more I appreciate the very first Star Trek movie, which at the time I thought was dull as far as baddie's go (V'ger).
              I fell asleep watching the first one.

TNG was good, First Contact was a good movie.

I enjoyed the first two in this run far more than any of the others though but this latest one... meh, I think Simon Pegg in the writer's seat probably didn't help it.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by CompulsiveArsonist View Post

All recent sci-fi or superhero films follow the same formula

* Lead character(s) has/have some personal issues / death in family / relationship break-up / nervous breakdown / mid-life crisis etc.
                * Aliens / crazy billionaire decides to invade earth / invade pacifist alien planet / destroy earth for some bizarre vendetta / snub / general crazy reason
                * Lead characters work together to defeat crazy billionaire aliens in the process leveling entire cities / destroying planets / spaceships etc killing billions with nobody caring
                * Lead characters are almost defeated but against the odds they identify some weakness which kills all the baddies (playing a certain song over the radio, or flying a ship precisely into a specific weak point that nobody thought to defend)
                * Everyone is happy / earth saved / hooray
                * Film earns trillions at the box office, spawning sequels with the same generic plot
                DOH! I was looking forward to Independence Day 2, but now you've gone and given away the plot!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The Register liked it:

Star Trek Beyond: An unwatchable steaming pile of tribble dung • The Register
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    DOH! I was looking forward to Independence Day 2, but now you've gone and given away the plot!

Comment

Working...
                    X