• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team GB at Olympics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Don't you think lottery money would be better spent on shaunbhoy's Assisted Living Support Worker, or can we safely expect that this will be covered by the extra £350 million per week to be spent on the NHS?
    Nah.

It's inspired the local kids around me to be like Mo Farah. Though some will have to go on extensive diets.

May have to convince them that judo or boxing would be easier - though they still would have to lose weight to fit into the weight categories.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Would be interesting if they introduce Sumo wrestling at Tokyo.

Comment

Just sticking my head over the parapet here.

I can't bear the Olympics.

Of course, that now will give everyone carte blanche to treat me as though I've just said Nelson Mandela was a child eating psychopath.

But say the same thing about the football and most people would concur enthusiastically.

It's not that I don't admire the dedication and physical prowess of the athletes, because I do.

It's just that watching what they do is so profoundly dull; generally a variation on going up and down or around and around to see who gets to the finish first.

Football and rugby, on the other hand, I really do enjoy.

Comment

It does seem like a bit of a jolly for the privileged few. Officially 2012 was meant to inspire everybody to take up sport and cure childhood obesity, but everybody knew that was bollocks. If anything watching professional athletes inspires people not to bother. No normal person could ever be as good.

I admire skill more than strength and stamina, and for that I think the Winter Olympics is better. Essentially Bradley Wiggins is no better at cycling than me; he's just a lot fitter and stronger. Running, cycling, rowing - so what? Winning just means you've trained more than everybody else. Not really an achievement.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            It does seem like a bit of a jolly for the privileged few. Officially 2012 was meant to inspire everybody to take up sport and cure childhood obesity, but everybody knew that was bollocks. If anything watching professional athletes inspires people not to bother. No normal person could ever be as good.

I admire skill more than strength and stamina, and for that I think the Winter Olympics is better. Essentially Bradley Wiggins is no better at cycling than me; he's just a lot fitter and stronger. Running, cycling, rowing - so what? Winning just means you've trained more than everybody else. Not really an achievement.
            And also, the non traditional Olympic sports that are now a feature of the games should be scratched.

Golf, tennis etc.

Only those sports for which an Olympic gold medal represents the ultimate achievement should be included.

Comment

I'd argue Bradley is a better cyclist than you, you haven't won 5 gold medals

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post

It's not that I don't admire the dedication and physical prowess of the athletes, because I do.

Football and rugby, on the other hand, I really do enjoy.
                You are a wild lass aren't you?

PM me your number and some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  You are a wild lass aren't you?

PM me your number and some pics.
                  You're new to rugby-playing women aren't you?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Essentially Bradley Wiggins is no better at cycling than me; he's just a lot fitter and stronger.
                    That's hilarious.

Comment

Er, I think you'll find he just sort of is...
                      Last edited by Mordac; 18 August 2016, 10:34. Reason: Many other entries in this weeks "spot the moron" competition.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X