• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things I have learnt since joining CUK 10 years ago today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned that some "Contractors" are really just permies who got lucky

Comment

I learned that:

House prices only ever go up

That's all you really need to know in life anyway.

Comment

prosperous Portugal
        Not two words you'll find together anywhere else.

Comment

Prosperous Portugal?

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          Not two words you'll find together anywhere else.
          Indeed, and they are full of tulip when it comes to retirement and taxes:

Retire abroad? The country offering tax-free pensions - Investment Basics from Citywire Money

The ‘non-habitual residence regime’, or NHR for short, makes Portugal the most tax efficient country for retiree expats to live in as long as they have not been resident in Portugal for the past five years.

‘[The Portuguese government] want new arrivals and they want people who have money to come, so they have a special tax arrangement for those who become resident… for the next 10 years you will not pay tax on any non-Portuguese income,’ he said.
          And the reality:

Interesting article, it is a shame it is a fabrication. I retired to Portugal in 2010 and being an honest citizen filed my taxes for 2011 (first full year) The Autoridade tributaria (the tax department) taxed me on my pension. I wrote a complaint which they dismissed and stated I must pay the taxes or be charged interest and penalties. I contacted a Portuguese Tax attorney and he wrote on my behalf which cost over €1,000.00. It has been over 20 months since he wrote with no response to date. Each year I have paid 28.5% tax on my pension

It is irresponsible to advised retirees that they will not have to pay taxes on their pensions. You have been duped by the Portuguese Government who happily says what you want to hear, however the Portuguese tax department does not follow what the Portuguese Government proclaims. So those who rely on your false statement find out after they have retired to Portugal that your promise is absolutely useless. I would feel if you are a responsible journalist you will print a retraction. Also you should contact the Autoridade Tributaria for confirmation on no taxes on pensions for the first 10 years.
          Glib article. The advice I have received from two Portuguese legal firms is that obtaining ‘non-habitual residence regime’ (NHR) status is not automatic. Various criteria have to be met. It can take six months for the application to be processed and declared residency is required for an application to be submitted. I have been advised that the Portuguese election in October introduces 'uncertainty'. My current view is that unless living permanently in Portugal without the benefit of NHR adds up, then one needs to be happy/able to live with what are clear risks.

Comment

From a few years either reading CUK, or subsequently posting, I now understand why lots of software doesn't work.

I also understand why my day rate is higher than most.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Prosperous Portugal?

Indeed, and they are full of tulip when it comes to retirement and taxes:

Retire abroad? The country offering tax-free pensions - Investment Basics from Citywire Money

And the reality:
              There's various criteria you need for NHR and in general it works fine.
              The guy you've quoted is probably a CUK-style cretin who got a tad confused.

A non-cretin also posted on that thread:

"I applied for the NHR scheme and was accepted after a 3 week wait. A few days ago, I received my tax returns and it showed a zero.

Should Portugal recall the NHR scheme, those already on it will not be affected."

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                prosperous Portugal.
                Why on earth would you want to retire to a prosperous country?
                You want work in a prosperous country and retire to a cheap one.
                Cyprus is looking increasingly like a possibility too - only 300k property golden visa.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I learned that:

House prices only ever go up

That's all you really need to know in life anyway.
                  What about the early 90s?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nothing gained at 11 years either.

HTH
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      What about the early 90s?
                      This time it's different™

Comment

Working...
                      X