• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tempted to the Dark side

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look what permiedom did to MF!

Its not for the weak!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
      So presuming 86k per year in London for a role where you are taking an immense amount of pressure and no doubt working 60-70 hour weeks?

You can earn considerably more than that contracting, even oop north. 40 hour week, minimal stress and 8 weeks or more off per year.

Yeah, 86k permie role every time
      Unlikely to be 60-70hrs, also most likely bonus on top for that kind of salary would say 15-20k bonus, then pension on top say another 10% and pension is based on salary + bonus so say another 11k pension. then holidays, then no having to kid yourself your outside of IR35 (though you may be but how many really are), no worrying about HMRC changing the rules all the time, no paperwork and admin, + no being bucketed as only a developer which most contractors are, training paid for so can re-skill.

These days permy isn't that bad if you get the right job, I do miss contracting but for a bit less £ I get a lot more peace of mind and don't have the constant fear HMRC is going to try and tap me for cash.
      Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 25 August 2016, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Its not for the weak!
        His bench was mighty relieved when he stopped sitting on it, that's for sure.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          His bench was mighty relieved when he stopped sitting on it, that's for sure.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not for the lightweights!
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
              Unlikely to be 60-70hrs, also most likely bonus on top for that kind of salary would say 15-20k bonus, then pension on top say another 10% and pension is based on salary + bonus so say another 11k pension. then holidays, then no having to kid yourself your outside of IR35 (though you may be but how many really are), no worrying about HMRC changing the rules all the time, no paperwork and admin, + no being bucketed as only a developer which most contractors are, training paid for so can re-skill.

These days permy isn't that bad if you get the right job, I do miss contracting but for a bit less £ I get a lot more peace of mind and don't have the constant fear HMRC is going to try and tap me for cash.
              Couldn't face the appraisals and team nights out. Think I'll retire early instead
              I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
                Couldn't face the appraisals and team nights out. Think I'll retire early instead
                True appraisal are total waste of time luckily my manager is pretty bad so I just re-submit my old stuff, team nights ... I go if there paying and its an ok place .... I think the one permy trait I can't stomach and will most probably stop any career progression is 'brown nosing' I just won't do it, also I have to bight my tongue a lot if someone more senior gives me grief, more than once I have felt the words 'just ***** off' welling up and ready to come out of my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
                  True appraisal are total waste of time luckily my manager is pretty bad so I just re-submit my old stuff, team nights ... I go if there paying and its an ok place .... I think the one permy trait I can't stomach and will most probably stop any career progression is 'brown nosing' I just won't do it, also I have to bight my tongue a lot if someone more senior gives me grief, more than once I have felt the words 'just ***** off' welling up and ready to come out of my mouth.
                  Appraisals you just ask for training.

Team Nights - they take us to fine restaurants. Not very often our team is spread across the world.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Appraisals you just ask for training.

Team Nights - they take us to fine restaurants. Not very often our team is spread across the world.
                    This. If I'm not doing well enough, train me to do better. If I am doing well enough, entice me to stay.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X