• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot motor yer driving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've got a Mondeo?
    Some people believe everything they read in the papers, or just lack the critical analysis skills required to debunk the Marketing hype (usually perpetrated by the opposition).

The platform was a multiple 'car of the year' platform (mainly for the Mondeo). 95% of the parts are unique to the car.

The odd thing is if you were to try and find a 4x4 Mondeo V6 2.5 you'd pay a great deal more for it than I paid for the X.

BTW I've driven plenty of Mondeo pool cars (from the MK1 on) and the latest versions are good motors (see 'car of the year', I note that Top Gear gave it Joint COTY in 2007 with the Scooby Legacy).

I wish I'd come across one before I bought my previous 'Daily driver' as opposed the utterly crap Audi A4.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      My car is a tatty old banger.
      FTFY
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Some people believe everything they read in the papers, or just lack the critical analysis skills required to debunk the Marketing hype (usually perpetrated by the opposition).

The platform was a multiple 'car of the year' platform (mainly for the Mondeo). 95% of the parts are unique to the car.

The odd thing is if you were to try and find a 4x4 Mondeo V6 2.5 you'd pay a great deal more for it than I paid for the X.

BTW I've driven plenty of Mondeo pool cars (from the MK1 on) and the latest versions are good motors (see 'car of the year', I note that Top Gear gave it Joint COTY in 2007 with the Scooby Legacy).

I wish I'd come across one before I bought my previous 'Daily driver' as opposed the utterly crap Audi A4.
        I said it in jest.

The MKIV was known in the industry to be better put together than the Audi A4 and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if the circumstances were appropriate. The previous model had inherent issues (know suspensions strut problems, etc.) but the 2007 model was a good one.

I had a MKII 2.0GLX petrol and it was a good runner until it failed an MOT on too many things. I then got a MKIII 2.0LX diesel and regularly got 70mpg out of it on motorway runs. Miles on the clock eventually caught up with it and it was moved on.

If I was to switch from my XF to a high-miler and a sporty weekend car, I'd go for an X-Type diesel and a Cayman. Makes perfect sense, both well put together, great drives and great value. That said, if I was to stick to one car, it would be the Panamera next.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          ok

Q7 Black on Titanium 20"s (for away days and holidays - my Dad calls this one the Taxi, says it looks like a black cab)

A4 Estate 3litre tdi quattro (that's the Mrs and children)

Passat CC for going to the office - next year to be replaced by a Golf GTD or Scirocco, whichever will be the silliest and most impractical

Milan.
          You're not going to replace the Passat with another Passat?
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            Hey long time no see Disco, what gives?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Hey long time no see Disco, what gives?
              I was missing AtW's incisive economic commentary and Milan's tales of Passats so I thought I'd stick my head around the door. I noticed you also made a recent reappearance!
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

well when you've got a Q7 and an A4 Quattro on the drive does it really make sense to have a Passat as well ?

I tried the Passat CC because it's halfway to silliness, but next time (this time next year) it'll be something really silly like a Golf R

Milan.

p.s. LandanManc, i'd get a Q7 over a Cayenne any day, the Q7 is awesome, rides on air suspension, incredibly stable, powerful enough (great for overtaking) and a huge boot for away days and holiday, and comes out of the same factory in Slovakia as the Cayenne. For long like 500km and + journeys the Q7 is the nicest car I have ridden in, safe, stable, high up, air suspension, Bose hifi, MMI navigation awesome and an 8 speed auto box that even returns 30mpg when fully loaded and booting it where legal

Comment

to tell the truth, if you can't afford a new Range Rover, then the Q7 is a sensible compromise.

I might try an X5 next time, but they only do air suspension on the backend, which isn't really it is it

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    p.s. LandanManc, i'd get a Q7 over a Cayenne any day, the Q7 is awesome, rides on air suspension, incredibly stable, powerful enough (great for overtaking) and a huge boot for away days and holiday, and comes out of the same factory in Slovakia as the Cayenne. For long like 500km and + journeys the Q7 is the nicest car I have ridden in, safe, stable, high up, air suspension, Bose hifi, MMI navigation awesome and an 8 speed auto box that even returns 30mpg when fully loaded and booting it where legal
                    I agree - I'd get a Q7 over a Cayenne, were I after a 4x4.
                    That said, the Jaguar F-Pace looks a lovely bit of kit but I'll let someone else take the initial hit and wait a couple of years.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      That said, the Jaguar F-Pace looks a lovely bit of kit but I'll let someone else take the initial hit and wait a couple of years.

understood, but.... tell me if I am going wrong,

with these big luxury cars, like the Q7 F-PACE etx, I am too scared to own an out of warranty 60thousand miler, so I buy new, it's expensive to get onto the ladder, but replacing every 5 years at the end of the extended warranty you still got an ~50% residual value

I am too scared of something expensive going wrong on a second hand one which is out of warranty

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X