• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot motor yer driving?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Intel View Post
    Manchester and Sheffield Merc dealers both crap.

Got the airmatic adjustable suspension so 3 modes, comfort, sport, and spine removal.

Comfort is spot on for when the old folks are in the car, soaks up the bumps. Sport is how I drive it most of the time and Sport + (spine removal) is for when it's really time to push it.

The most fun feature though is the "handling" mode on the traction control. Knocks it half off and lets you get the tail out without parking it in a hedge. Costing me a fecking fortune though, current set of rears has lasted just over 5000 miles and will need changing in the next 1000....

On the flip side, it's a joy getting up in the mornings knowing the fun you're going to have, and when the client asks what car you drive you just say a CLS which leaves them thinking it's a standard rep mobile
    I got 20k out of my SL's rear tyres. ML is averaging about the same. Not like we drive them gently either. I think I will need to drive an SL with the air suspension if I can find one. At the time the dealer that helped me spec mine said there really wasn't a noticeable difference given the setup of the car. But 40,000 miles on my car is starting to annoy me.

Love the AMG engines just don't trust myself to stay out of trouble.

Comment

Seems most well paid IT consultants are driving:

1. Banger
      2. Jag

So this must be the perfect CUK car.

Used 2001 Jaguar S Type SPORT V6 for sale in Lancashire | Pistonheads

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Seems most well paid IT consultants are driving:

1. Banger
        2. Jag

So this must be the perfect CUK car.

Used 2001 Jaguar S Type SPORT V6 for sale in Lancashire | Pistonheads
        Gorgeous looking car!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          I got 20k out of my SL's rear tyres. ML is averaging about the same. Not like we drive them gently either. I think I will need to drive an SL with the air suspension if I can find one. At the time the dealer that helped me spec mine said there really wasn't a noticeable difference given the setup of the car. But 40,000 miles on my car is starting to annoy me.

Love the AMG engines just don't trust myself to stay out of trouble.
          I think the airmatic suspension is better for softening up the hardcore cars rather than stiffening the day to day ones. I've had a C200 saloon and C350 Coupe before the CLS, the C200 was the most refined car I've ever driven and ridiculously comfortable and the C350 Coupe was setup like a sports car so hit the potholes hard all the time. The CLS strikes a decent balance between the two plus I can get real human beings in the back which you can't in the C class coupes.

I ended up with the AMG mainly because it works for me at the moment. Clean licence (god knows how long for though ), right age for insurance in the £800 range and with the continuing ecomentalism it'll be one of the last chances to ever own a car that does 15mpg combined. The progression is for smaller and smaller turbo charged engines (the A class AMG is now a 4 pot 2l turbo affair and the bigger AMGs are now going towards 4.0L V8s but with more turbo pressure to keep the power. As the old saying goes, no replacement for displacement so if you're after one of the proper 6.2 NAs or the 5.5 turbos now is the time to do it.

I've never got more than 10k out of a set of tyres, but then again I do regard the loud pedal as having binary settings......
          Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

FatLazyContractor is selling his assets to bribe NAT for unban?

Comment

15 plate E220 - £30 Road Tax and easily does 60+mpg.

7 Speed auto box, loads of toys.

Bought it when it was 9 months old and saved ~£15k on the new price.

Very comfy and keeps me out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                Just a Golf ...
                Chav
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                  understood, but.... tell me if I am going wrong,

with these big luxury cars, like the Q7 F-PACE etx, I am too scared to own an out of warranty 60thousand miler, so I buy new, it's expensive to get onto the ladder, but replacing every 5 years at the end of the extended warranty you still got an ~50% residual value

I am too scared of something expensive going wrong on a second hand one which is out of warranty

Milan.
                  Buying a car new that will lose 50k in 4 years to avoid the occasional 5k bill is a bit economically wrong isn't it?

I have done it both ways. My current two are new but most of the other toys I have owned were in their 4th year and apart from the TT they generally worked fine. In truth I only bought my SL new this time because I liked this model and didn't like the facelift version of the last model.

Comment

Seems some people are deceived by marketing. So here's your handy cut-out-and-keep guide about what car you're really driving

Audi = Skoda
                    Older Jag = Ford
                    Newer Jag, Range Rover = Tata Nano

HTH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Indeed - the main problem apparently is that when doing mpg figures for these small turbo engines they never put the revs high enough to make the turbo kick in - but in the real world if you do not work the engine hard enough to make the turbo kick in then performance is what you would expect from a 1/1.2 litre engine - e.g. rubbish.

so real work driving it is better to have a 1.6 NA rather than a 1 litre turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X