• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A mathematical question for you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    And they have to do that without a calculator? Jeepers.
    Simple multiplication. I did it on a piece of paper. There's no guesswork. You know the last digit of the initial number is 9. Any number ending in 9, multiplied by 4 will yield a number ending in 6. Now you have the second digit.

If you construct the notional multiplication it becomes obvious.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Simple multiplication. I did it on a piece of paper. There's no guesswork. You know the last digit of the initial number is 9. Any number ending in 9, multiplied by 4 will yield a number ending in 6. Now you have the second digit.

If you construct the notional multiplication it becomes obvious.
      Thanks, I'll tell my 10 year old to do that

Comment

"Obvious" is a mathematical term meaning "it's obvious to me". Similarly "The proof is an exercise left to the reader" means "I'm sure it's true but can't be arsed to prove it".

Comment

"Obvious" is a mathematical term meaning "it's obvious to me". Similarly "The proof is an exercise left to the reader" means "I'm sure it's true but can't be arsed to prove it".
          I got that from my A level teacher. Try to get a formula for circumference of an ellipse. It vexed me for 2 days.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Thanks, I'll tell my 10 year old to do that
            To be fair - if he can understand how the answer is figured out, he's doing well. I guess this question separates out those who understand multiplication (to an extent) from those who can simply mechanically apply it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

My special number has a 9 in the units column. If I remove the 9 from the units column and place it at the left hand end of the number, but leave all the other digits unchanged, I get a new number. This new number is four times my special number. What is my special number?

--------------

So the question above is from an 11+ grammar school entry exam. I've worked out the answer but not without some pain and guesswork thrown in for good measure. I just can't imagine how my kid or any 10 year is supposed to work it out!
              God, when was this exam, 1890? Are you sure it was the 11 Plus and not the Cambridge Tripos?

It's quite a tricky problem. But in fact there are an infinite number of answers.

Symbolically, the problem amounts to finding integers x and n such that (with "dot" denoting multiplication) :

Code:
                9 . 10^n + x  =  4 (10 x + 9)     where  x < 10^n
              Rearranging gives:

Code:
                39 x  =  9 (10^n - 4)
              So since 3 || 39 (standard notation to mean 3 is the largest power of 3 dividing 39), but from the equation 3^2 | 39 x, we see that 3 | x.

So x = 3 y for some integer y and, rearranging once more, this gives :

Code:
                  10^n  =  13 y + 4
              The smallest positive integer n satisfying this for an integer y is n = 5, i.e. 10^5 = 13 . 7692 + 4, which presumably leads to NAT's solution.

But you can also multiply each side of the preceding equation by corresponding sides of 10^6 = 13 . 76923 + 1 any number of times, and obtain a new solution each time.

In other words, every integer solution n (i.e. for which an integer value of y is obtained) is given by n = 5 + 6 t, for t = 0, 1, 2, ... infinity

So, to be explicit, every integer satisfying the conditions of the problem is of the form 30 (10^(5 + 6 t) - 4) / 13 + 9 for t = 0, 1, 2, ...

Last edited by OwlHoot; 1 September 2016, 14:05.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My son has just pointed out 230769230769230769 is a solution. But your general solution is worthy of respect.

Comment

My son has just pointed out 230769230769230769 is a solution. But your general solution is worthy of respect.
                  Now PM that number to Brillo as a target for the Counting thread - that should keep him going for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                    Now PM that number to Brillo as a target for the Counting thread - that should keep him going for a while.
                    I've already deleted some entries.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X