• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A mathematical question for you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

equation is (s-9)/10 + 9x10^x = 4s

transpose to (39s+9)/90 is a power of 10

powers of 10 are 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000 ...etc

if s is an integer then first to solve is 100000

therefore (39s+9)/90 =100000

s = 230769

Think that's how a 10 year old is supposed to solve this, of course when he gets to 17 he will know everything anyway and should give the correct answer without any working out.
    Last edited by motoukenin; 8 May 2017, 13:03.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
      equation is (s-9)/10 + 9x10^x = 4s

transpose to (39s+9)/90 is a power of 10

powers of 10 are 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000 ...etc

if s is an integer then first to solve is 100000

therefore (39s+9)/90 =100000

s = 230769
      That is one answer. TRy http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2305476

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Too complicated an answer, getting something into a power of 10 which all 10 year olds will know is the key here, not sure if the 10 year old that can do the transposition or get to the equation in the first place would be able to deal with life when he/she gets to 18 would be my concern so I would be pretty happy to have a 10 year old that could not solve it, in fact if I do have kids I might just give him/her this equation just to make sure they can't.
        Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Last question on paper

It's worth noting that this was the last question on a paper from King Edwards School, Birmingham in 2011.
          11+ specimen papers

I reckon it was either put there to keep candidates busy until the allocated time was up

Or as a one mark "tie-breaker" to ensure not everyone got 100% on this section.

Comment

Thanks very much to all who have helped with this one. Much appreciated. I won't have time until tomorrow to think about your replies and try to follow, but just wanted to say thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
            X