• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any drawback to Dual Nationality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It was the word "dual" that confused him. He thought it meant like Germans fighting with swords.
    Now now. There's no need to mock the afflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Ach so. Es ist nicht so schweirig.
      Schwierig

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        1. No DV clearance, highest you can get is an SC. So that may rule you out of some government contracts.
        2. Taxes, you may not pay anymore tax as all the countries listed have reciprocal tax treaties, but you may end up paying the highest bill. Also you may need to report/file in both countries.

Those are the two big ones I suffer with.
        Not quite for taxes - only a very few countries require citizens to file for taxes no matter where in the world they are. I hold dual citizenship and don't file for taxes in either country (neither of them are UK).

Comment

I'm surprised that people are so flippant about their nationality. Is it now just seen as a bit of paper to wave at border control? Taken from the checklist for conditions for an Irish passport:

You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.

I'm sure it's the same for all nations. Basically if the UK has a proper run-in with your newly adopted nation you're 'on the other side'.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Kind of but not quite. I know that in Germany, if the UK leaves the EU then then any UK persons with dual nationality then have to choose as the UK would no longer be included in the EU but there might be new laws introduced, similar to those that they have for other countries not in the EU, to allow for this. Whether the UK would allow the person to keep their UK citizenship is another matter...
            It is my understanding I can apply for a German passport once I've been here 8 years and got my B1 certificate (working on it panic) and keep my UK passport. After the article 50 when the two years expire I'll be required to give up my UK passport to apply for a German passport.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I'm surprised that people are so flippant about their nationality.
              Interesting you should put it like that. I consider the UK government has done more to damage my national identity that I might do myself. Uncontrolled immigration. You might laugh at Germany 1+ million migrants but the UK has managed that in the last 3-years alone.

The values in the society I grew up in were about tolerance, respect for my elders (or I soon learnt the hard way), to listen to others. It's rather sad I should now find these qualities in a country not my home.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Just tried the test here: German A1 to C2 - How long does it to reach reach level B1 or B2

Got 30/60 and said I was probably at level B1. Yaay! Now all I need to do is move there for 7 years.
                I went to take the test and Chrome popped up a window that asked me if I wanted to translate it from German to English. After that, it was pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  I'm surprised that people are so flippant about their nationality. Is it now just seen as a bit of paper to wave at border control? Taken from the checklist for conditions for an Irish passport:

You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.

I'm sure it's the same for all nations. Basically if the UK has a proper run-in with your newly adopted nation you're 'on the other side'.
                  There are a couple of things to think about, but you're right that it's worth a thought.

Firstly, you're not 'on the other side' as you have dual loyalty. You are of course conflicted as you are on 'both sides'.

Also, from my point of view, as I mean to see out my days in Ireland and my wife and kids are Irish citizens, it makes sense to me to adopt citizenship, even though I already have special privileges as a British citizen - I can vote in all elections except constitutional referenda, and possibly presidential elections.

Finally, I value my EU citizenship and have an opportunity to retain it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Schwierig
                    ... erm... I was using Swiss German?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Interesting you should put it like that. I consider the UK government has done more to damage my national identity that I might do myself. Uncontrolled immigration. You might laugh at Germany 1+ million migrants but the UK has managed that in the last 3-years alone.

The values in the society I grew up in were about tolerance, respect for my elders (or I soon learnt the hard way), to listen to others. It's rather sad I should now find these qualities in a country not my home.
                      As you previously pointed out the UK is different depending on where you are. I find the values you speak of still exist, but under threat. May be this is one of the reasons that Brexit won the day? It is also worth noting that it was Tony Blair - who I don't think really ever considered himself British - that did the most damage with regards the national identity.

We'll see how things pan out after the German federal elections.

My point still stands though. You're pledging allegiance to a different nation, not just obtaining a document that allows free movement round parts of Europe. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but that is the primary undertaking when applying for a different passport.

Comment

Working...
                      X