• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I dreaming this? Free money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe To Fund Refugee Debit Cards in Turkey with Euro 348 M - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency

The European Commission announced today the largest project for humanitarian aid in the history of the EU. The project is worth Euro 348 M and is aimed at helping over 3 million Syrian refugees in Turkey. The money will be used to fund the debit cards which Turkish authorities have distributed to the refugees

Turkish authorities claim that they spend Euro 9 B annually on refugees
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Got to be able to pay for,them,kebabs somehow.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

In Switzerland asylum seekers (except those who can be processed quickly), and refugees are given a small amount of money each week to buy toiletries etc. Giving them a card instead of cash makes sense. If they're given permission to stay, and are allowed to seek work, 10% of what they earn is deducted to meet these costs to the country. A refugee tax. Makes sense.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        In Switzerland asylum seekers (except those who can be processed quickly), and refugees are given a small amount of money each week to buy toiletries etc. Giving them a card instead of cash makes sense. If they're given permission to stay, and are allowed to seek work, 10% of what they earn is deducted to meet these costs to the country. A refugee tax. Makes sense.
        I struggle a little with this. It's the same with benefits in the UK.

We should be providing state run, or privately agreed centres that dole the items out instead of cash. Especially benefits in the UK.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

All refugees get free money or how are they suppose to buy stuff like toothpaste and soap? It actually costs more to look after people you don't allow them to have some money to sort out their basic hygiene as they will pass diseases to each other and the population at large.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            All refugees get free money or how are they suppose to buy stuff like toothpaste and soap? It actually costs more to look after people you don't allow them to have some money to sort out their basic hygiene as they will pass diseases to each other and the population at large.
            They can be issued with food and basics. The vast majority of ‘refugees’ are young men and some are ex-ISIS. I can imagine these bank cards being sold on the black market and used to buy drugs and arms and feed the war in Syria.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

In UK refugees get cards (issued by Sodexo, with photos on), £15 a day on them I think.

Comment

It's a bit like feeding stray cats - if you continue to do it the cats will continue to come.

If you stop feeding the cats they look elsewhere for free food.

maybe something which should be considered imho

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  ... I can imagine these bank cards being sold on the black market and used to buy drugs and arms and feed the war in Syria.
                  Right... You understand these cards are an alternative to cash? And the principle is that it's easier to control and administer than cash?

Or do you think that without cards, people can't buy drugs and guns?

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  It's a bit like feeding stray cats - if you continue to do it the cats will continue to come.

If you stop feeding the cats they look elsewhere for free food.

maybe something which should be considered imho
                  I'd be fascinated to know what this "elsewhere" is that you mention. Especially with regards to those fleeing war zones.

The Swiss house refugees who have been granted temporary entry in accomodation like ski lodges in the middle of nowhere, precisely to make life not too comfortable.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

The Swiss house refugees who have been granted temporary entry in accomodation like ski lodges in the middle of nowhere, precisely to make life not too comfortable.
                    Good thinking.

We have plenty of room in Scotlandshire, don't we?

That small fishing port on the River Clyde? Glasgee?

Comment

Working...
                    X