• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leave role off CV...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave role off CV...?

I've done just over two years as a contractor, now on 4th contract. First two were 6 months each, 3rd was a year and am 2 months into my 4th contract. And I've been fired.

I'm the 4th Programme Manager in 5 months (!!), in a chaotic, toxic organisation that did not share that when I was hired. Not bothered about leaving at all, as it was just awful, but my question for the more experienced contractors out there....

.... should I include on CV and tell the story if I get to interview?
    .....or remove from CV and claim a longer Summer holiday ( I intentionally had 3 months off before this contract started).

(I am not in financial services and have no need to account for my time off contract. In future, I intend to work around 6-8 months each year with long period of holiday for travelling.)

Any wise advice appreciated.

I've had a couple of toxic contracts. Both are on my CV, and I've got my story straight for both of them. Never had any issues during interviews - and even in one contract helped stop the previous (toxic) client getting work there...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Tell the truth. Had a real toxic client 4-5 years ago, stress levels through the roof, project manager heading for the exit through incompetence firing everyone and anyone who did not sing his tune.

Still, recorded the work on my CV. There was many shortcomings made and future clients were keen to know what went wrong so that they might not follow the same path.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Contractors don't get fired.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Contractors don't get fired.
          What do you call it then Northernlad? Pray enlighten us with your infamous wit and wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Chutley View Post
            What do you call it then Northernlad? Pray enlighten us with your infamous wit and wisdom.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismissal_(employment)

Anything that isn't related to employment will do. Take your pick.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 13 September 2016, 21:57.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

.... should I include on CV and tell the story if I get to interview?
                .....or remove from CV and claim a longer Summer holiday ( I intentionally had 3 months off before this contract started).
                If you get caught lying to a client (or potential client) then you will lose any credibility that you have - you only have to get someone at a new site who knows you to let it slip and there will be questions (rightly) asked.

Personally, I'd include it - you just need to be able to explain what happened and why you left. Put some decent spin on it and you'll be fine.

Comment

It's too recent and too long term (2 months not 1) to hide. Just create a decent story and keep it on your cv.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's too recent and too long term (2 months not 1) to hide. Just create a decent story and keep it on your cv.
                    "Yes it was a short contract. It terminated earlier than expected as I had a fundamental disagreement with the project manager. I thought he was an idiot and he didn't.".
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X