• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying next door to extend your house, and 2nd home SLDT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying next door to extend your house, and 2nd home SLDT

For one not about me... A mate has a terraced house up here in Billy Elliot land. The one next door is empty and the owner has hinted he'd still for £60k or so so my mate is fairly seriously considering buying it and knocking the two together.

I was wondering if you'd be able to wiggle out of the 3% second home stamp duty. Anyone have the slightest idea?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Nope.

And £60k, wow. You could buy one up there every other month!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      For one not about me... A mate has a terraced house up here in Billy Elliot land. The one next door is empty and the owner has hinted he'd still for £60k or so so my mate is fairly seriously considering buying it and knocking the two together.

I was wondering if you'd be able to wiggle out of the 3% second home stamp duty. Anyone have the slightest idea?
      Your mate could use a trust, as long as the beneficiary of the trust doesn't already own a property. So if his house was in his name, he could set up a trust in his wife's name (assuming he has one - it works for children as well) and bobs your wotsit. And I believe this can be scaled up for multiple properties, i.e. you can be the beneficiary of multiple trusts, as long as you don't actually own a property. It is just possible that the 3% saving on £60k isn't worth the aggro of setting one of these things up, and there's also the question of whether stamp duty on a second home even exists on a purchase under £250k. He should get some decent advice, or at least get googling, but where there's a tax, there's usually a way to avoid actually paying it.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Nope.

Such places still exist!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Jesus £60k?!

400sq ft studios are going for £650k around here..

Comment

It only seems fair that you'd get a refund once the place was registered as a single property.

Just as when you need to get a let to buy on your current property to fund the purchase of your next main residence, you get the surcharge back if you sell within 18 months.

Wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't thought of this particular use case though.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Such places still exist!
              Quite a few round my neck of the woods. Rates on such places are £60/month and includes the water charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Nope.

£60k is high. I can show you former mining villages and elsewhere where you can buy properties for £25k - there is of course a reason for that - the places are utterly depressing...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  £60k is high. I can show you former mining villages and elsewhere where you can buy properties for £25k - there is of course a reason for that - the places are utterly depressing...
                  and normally full of Welsh or Northeners
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                  X