Winding down to semi-retirement Winding down to semi-retirement
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Should post faster

ClothCap is good enough for Jehovah!

Default Winding down to semi-retirement

Sat at home merrily coding whilst reading of the travel chaos that everyone is facing today. Then punctuate that with the loud-mouthed posturing of the brash, perma-temp newby contractors that like to oversell themselves (I blame The Apprentice ). Yes, I'm glad I don't have to contend with that too often these days thank you very much.

Anyone else in a steady slide into a middle-aged, semi-retired existence? If not, why not? Face it - long hours away from home in a hostile office environment is a young person's game. I'm not truly ancient yet but I think the 80s/90s promise of early retirement is starting to sound good, although I don't have the funds for a full exit from the grind.

Semi-retirement (or work as and when it suits me) is the way forward for me I think. Just have to adjust the family's expectations and I'm sorted

If that sounds a bit lame, I apologise; hopefully you'll make it home for a quick G+T before closing time.
    I get up...

Godlike

ChimpMaster - scorchio!

Almost there. Just waiting for current clientco to stop renewing my consultancy agreement.

Though in my early-40s I think it'll look like I'm showing off if I semi-retire.

Still have a young family to raise so winding down might not go the way I'd want just yet.

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is always on top

You just need a couple of rental properties all paid off and then the rent is your pension. Most contractors should be able to pay of the mortgages after 10 years contracting*

*Unless you get divorced, lose the lot, and now live in a rented bedsit above a kebab shop in Slough.
    SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

My post count is Majestic

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

This week has been great doing stuff. And by the end of the week I had more money in the bank than last & I don't even have a job. Which was nice.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This week has been great doing stuff. And by the end of the week I had more money in the bank than last & I don't even have a job. Which was nice.

Yes, you must have been well chuffed that your small redundancy payment came in.

Cheers

a

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The new tattoo is paying off then....?

Super poster

Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

I've got another 18 months of full time then I'll only be doing it to get more toys and the retirement window is open. I'd like a boat and a little place in France so it depends how much I can be bothered with the trade off of doing another year or so. I will only be doing nine months per year or thereabouts if I do carry on.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

School fees preclude early retirement. Otherwise everything's in place and waiting for Brexit to happen for clarity.