• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Madness or making a point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Madness or making a point?

Paul Gascoigne guilty over racist comment - BBC News

Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has pleaded guilty to racially aggravated abuse after a "joke" he told during a show.
    Gascoigne, 49, made the comment during An Evening With Gazza in Wolverhampton on 30 November 2015.
    At Dudley Magistrates' Court, the ex-player admitted using "threatening or abusive words or behaviour".
    Gascoigne, who lives in Dorset, was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in compensation.

The Express & Star newspaper reported the charge related to a remark the former England midfielder made about the guard, who was in a darkened part of the stage. Gascoigne allegedly said he could not tell "if he was smiling or not".
    When I first read this I thought it's crazy PC nonsense... akin to someone making a joke about being blinded by my white skin when I take my top off. On second reading I realise he didn't say it to the guy at the time, but as a joke to the audience. Which to me makes it stupid and inappropriate but hardly criminal if the statement was true.

What do people think?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Paul Gascoigne guilty over racist comment - BBC News

When I first read this I thought it's crazy PC nonsense... akin to someone making a joke about being blinded by my white skin when I take my top off. On second reading I realise he didn't say it to the guy at the time, but as a joke to the audience. Which to me makes it stupid and inappropriate but hardly criminal if the statement was true.

What do people think?

Stupid, inappropriate, but not criminal, IMO.
    I always think its the way people say things, rather than the words they say.

Gascoigne cuts a bit of a sad figure really with all his coke and booze problems, to be fair.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

PC Madness
      I thought this was another Psychowibble life blog
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This was on a thread a few weeks back.

He has made a statement that dark objects are difficult to see in low light and if something bright is put on the dark object it makes it easier to see - this is actually statement of fact.

It is a carp joke but not a hate crime.

Comment

Free speech and all that. Shouldn't be a matter for the police.

However in this case it was a security guard - i.e. he was in his workplace. And perhaps that makes it different.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            This was on a thread a few weeks back.

He has made a statement that dark objects are difficult to see in low light and if something bright is put on the dark object it makes it easier to see - this is actually statement of fact.

It is a carp joke but not a hate crime.
            That was my thinking although I wondered does the fact something is true make it automatically OK as a subject to make fun of people about? If you said brown people "look dirty" that could be argued as true but would probably be racist. THe line between racist and racially insensitive I guess. But it seems now the latter is just seen as racism?

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Free speech and all that. Shouldn't be a matter for the police.

However in this case it was a security guard - i.e. he was in his workplace. And perhaps that makes it different.
            What are the rules on free speech in the UK? It's not a license to say anything you please without consequence, as I understand it. If he said "I couldn't tell if that <N-word> was smiling" for instance?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Celebrities have to be more careful than the rest of us.

Comment

I would have thought that being insulted by Gazza would be akin to being savaged by a dead sheep.
                I wonder if it was the black worker who complained or someone in the audience.
                It is fair enough that no one at work should be subject to jokes about their appearance, though.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  I would have thought that being insulted by Gazza would be akin to being savaged by a dead sheep.
                  I wonder if it was the black worker who complained or some Liberal, handwringing, Guardian reader in the audience.
                  It is fair enough that no one at work should be subject to jokes about their appearance, though.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

"can you smile please, because I can't see you?"

...yeah, that's racist.

Comment

Working...
                    X