• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a snap General Election allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a snap General Election allowed?

With the fixed-term parliament law, does that mean the Government is unable to call an election at any other time barring votes of no confidence and so on?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    With the fixed-term parliament law, does that mean the Government is unable to call an election at any other time barring votes of no confidence and so on?
    Yep political tricks would be required to call an early election... People on politicalbetting covered the options a while back and they worked out a couple of means by which an early election could be called - it wasn't easy though and you can no longer do it in six weeks. I think to get an election in late October due to all the Parliamentary holidays the process needed to begin in very early July....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They can call an election by getting a Commons vote to do so passed by, IIRC, two-thirds of MPs. The only other way is a vote of no confidence. At least that's what I remember from when they were wittering about it on PM while I was driving home the other day.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-...ments_Act_2011

The law itself: Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011

Comment

Repeal of the Fixed Term Parliament Act requires a simple majority.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          And not just the biggest willy NLYUK?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This is about elections, not erections love. Stick to what you know.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              I suspect she's had more politians than you've had hot dinners.

Things like that must rub off on her...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Exactly. This is why the FTPA is worth less than face value. Getting it repealed through the Lords might be trickier, but it looks like someone is trying to get a headstart

Fixed-term Parliaments (Repeal) Bill [HL] 2016-17 — UK Parliament

That said, meeting the requirements of the FTPA (without repeal) would not be overly difficult. It's an impediment, but it certainly doesn't block a GE before 2020.

Also, it's worth noting that this was only implemented as a confidence trick to support the coalition. It's definitely going to be repealed at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  And not just the biggest willy NLYUK?
                  Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  @cojak, my girls can certainly confirm that barry is one of the lesser members.

Comment

Working...
                  X