• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Slack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Slack

For a number of years I've been hearing about this. A 'e-mail' killer. Yet as an independent worker I'm still struggling with getting others on-board.

Anyone else had success?

https://slack.com/is
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

For large teams it's a nice tool.

Comment

ClientCo. have been using it for us "independent workers". It's okay. I'm not sure it offers any real advantage over doing the same in Skype, and in a way I prefer email as at least then you have time to think about your response (and have a record). As with any IM system when multiple people are talking it's very easy for the point to get lost and lose track of who's replying to whom.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        ClientCo. have been using it for us "independent workers". It's okay. I'm not sure it offers any real advantage over doing the same in Skype, and in a way I prefer email as at least then you have time to think about your response (and have a record). As with any IM system when multiple people are talking it's very easy for the point to get lost and lose track of who's replying to whom.
        Client Co uses Lync here and all conversations are recorded?
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I much prefer Lync/Skype for Business. Previous clientco had that and worked great for running meetings, quick catchups and remote working

Current client doesn't allow Lync/Skype for Business for contractors and I've seen a group of devs using slack to communicate with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
            I much prefer Lync/Skype for Business. Previous clientco had that and worked great for running meetings, quick catchups and remote working

Current client doesn't allow Lync/Skype for Business for contractors and I've seen a group of devs using slack to communicate with each other.
            That's very short sighted, very useful tool, for when an e mail is just not worth it
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
              I've seen a group of devs using CUK to communicate with each other.
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                That's very short sighted, very useful tool, for when an e mail is just not worth it
                Absolutely. Been raised a few times, but the clientco IT isn't willing to listen. So people just start to use workarounds

Comment

live without IM??

eekeek
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

We use Lync here and to be fair it's pony, I've found slack to be better and more user friendly. I still use it to keep in touch with other colleagues though and haven't found anything I dislike about it yet.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X