• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bicycle Lorry deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Never cycled in a big city - because I'm terrified - but do you not also get the case where a lorry pulls up along-side you and then turns on you i.e. exactly the same as if you cycle up alongside one?
    If you are at the front of the traffic lights pull forward and move in front of the lorry then look back and make eye contact with the driver. If you're in a queue then you let the lorry pull away first before you move.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Yes but you may survive being hit by a car but less so a lorry

But it is about self preservation you simply do not put yourself in a position to get in a fight with a 40 ton trailer
      The figures suggest that Lorries are very dangerous to both types.

Whilst I'm sure some cyclists do cycle poorly its a bit like putting Indiana Jones style traps on the street and saying its people's fault for walking into them.

Studies repeatedly show there is a visibility problem in the lorries and as the Lorries are less numerous than cyclists and pedestrians they are also registered and traceable it makes sense to fix the issues identified on the things you can control.

Many of the accidents are due to construction traffic as well. So they could improve the targetting more.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        If they stop behind the lorry rather than try and sneak up the nearside in the drivers blind spot or actually took the time to understand how a lorry turns they wouldn't get run over in the first place
        If lorries didn't overtake cyclists approaching junctions and turn left in front of them they wouldn't kill cyclists in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          If lorries didn't overtake cyclists approaching junctions and turn left in front of them they wouldn't kill cyclists in the first place.
          They don't frigging care until they get caught. Shame the Met don't do this linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Refitting existing lorries with skirts, alarms, annoying "blip-blip warning! this vehicle is turning left blip-blip" has limited results and is costly.
            Redesigning lorries to give 360 view to the drivers is not going to happen any time soon and is extremely costly.
            Reeducating lorry drivers to pay attention for cyclists has limited effect.

Meanwhile all the cyclist have to do is look after their own well being and follow the rules - not to get inside of the turning lorry (that being the No.1 cause for cyclists deaths) - cost is £0 and +lives saved.

By all means blame the lorries.

Changing the mirrors is not costly.

Lorries pull along cyclists and turn left in front of them all the time.

I have no problem with educating cyclists on how to avoid such situations, but absolving the lorry of responsibility is equivalent to saying it's not the muggers fault, because the victim shouldn't have been in a dark alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
              If they stop behind the lorry rather than try and sneak up the nearside in the drivers blind spot or actually took the time to understand how a lorry turns they wouldn't get run over in the first place
              The majority of deaths are caused by women waiting at lights when lorries pull along side them.

Women tend not be be as aggressive as men so get caught next to them.

I suppose they could wait at the lights. But then they would never move forward.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                They don't frigging care until they get caught. Shame the Met don't do this linky
                If they prosecute it will only annoy drivers who will give cyclists less space.

Education is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  If they prosecute it will only annoy drivers who will give cyclists less space.

Education is the key.
                  If you actually read the link or know the story in Birmingham they are currently educating drivers but in a few months time after warning everyone they will then start prosecuting people.

It's the same with mobile phone use - people were warned then the prosecutions started.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why can't they design the problem away? One of those cyclist only boxes at the front by the lights and a cyclist only green light for a few seconds so they have right of way over any other vehicle behind. Then if cyclists still get squashed by trying it on and undertaking the vehicle as the normal lights go green then it's gene pool therapy for the human race.

Technology will solve it, eventually. Whether that be proximity sensors where vehicles are warned of cyclists/pedestrians in their blind spots (backed up with serious consequences for ignoring the warnings if an incident occurs), or Amazon style automated delivery drones taking the trucks and vans off the roads.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      If you actually read the link or know the story in Birmingham they are currently educating drivers but in a few months time after warning everyone they will then start prosecuting people.

It's the same with mobile phone use - people were warned then the prosecutions started.
                      I was aware of that. IMO they should just warn people.

Comment

Working...
                      X