• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bicycle Lorry deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You aren't too old. I've met men much older than you who cycle around London. Though most look younger due to the fact they do regular exercise.
    Point and follow up sarcastic point duly noted.

What I really meant is that my wife doesn't let me do it any more because SHE thinks I'm too old.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      Point and follow up sarcastic point duly noted.

What I really meant is that my wife doesn't let me do it any more because SHE thinks I'm too old.

Anyway, back to the cycling
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Or if the lorries were designed to allow the driver to see what's around him there would be fewer fatalities too.
        Refitting existing lorries with skirts, alarms, annoying "blip-blip warning! this vehicle is turning left blip-blip" has limited results and is costly.
        Redesigning lorries to give 360 view to the drivers is not going to happen any time soon and is extremely costly.
        Reeducating lorry drivers to pay attention for cyclists has limited effect.

Meanwhile all the cyclist have to do is look after their own well being and follow the rules - not to get inside of the turning lorry (that being the No.1 cause for cyclists deaths) - cost is £0 and +lives saved.

By all means blame the lorries.

Comment

Regardless of who is to blame the problem is, in a contest between a 40 tonne truck and 12 stone cyclist there is only going to be one winner its all about self preservation and regardless of how well the truck/car is being driven the Cyclist or Motorcyclists will always come off worse

Comment

Cyclists deaths caused by turning lorries should be considered suicides, as that's exactly what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Cyclists deaths caused by turning lorries should be considered suicides, as that's exactly what they are.
              It's more of a case of poor risk assessment.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

yeah stupid cyclists

In the past two years HGVs were involved in 23% of pedestrian fatalities and 58% of cyclist deaths in London, despite accounting for just 4% of the miles driven in the city, the mayor's office said.
                hmm so 1/25th of the mileage and 1/4 of pedestrians killed or 3/5ths of cyclists not the lorries fault at all.
                Have you ever thought of becoming a statistician?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The faster we get autonomous lorries and their journeys done through the night the better.

The feckers drive like they are stuntmen on a mad max set.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    yeah stupid cyclists

hmm so 1/25th of the mileage and 1/4 of pedestrians killed or 3/5ths of cyclists not the lorries fault at all.
                    Have you ever thought of becoming a statistician?
                    Yes but you may survive being hit by a car but less so a lorry

But it is about self preservation you simply do not put yourself in a position to get in a fight with a 40 ton trailer

Comment

Never cycled in a big city - because I'm terrified - but do you not also get the case where a lorry pulls up along-side you and then turns on you i.e. exactly the same as if you cycle up alongside one?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X