• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bicycle Lorry deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Thank you for finding that might I now show you the rule that accompanies it:

Cycling highway code uk - The Highway Code

It clearly states that cyclists must not travel down the inside of a vehicle turning left...

Confusing isn't it?

So now to recap what is supposed to happen :

1) as a motorist I must not overtake a user of any protected lane when I am about to turn across it

2) as a motorist I must watch out for the bikes, buses or wheelchairs the are in the immediate area when I signal and begin the manoeuvre to turn left

However:

3) as a cyclist approaching the motorists car that is signaling to turn left you are now not permitted to undertake that car and must make adjustments to your course to avoid an accident.
    I read that as if you are on a dedicated lane you are longer part of the road like being on a slip road.

Unless there are give way signs on the cycle lane then cyclists have priority as they are continuing. This is the same as a right turn or any other manouvre other road users do not have to give way unless they are instructed to. No whether that is wise or safe is another matter.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So now to recap what is supposed to happen :

1) as a motorist I must not overtake a user of any protected lane when I am about to turn across it

2) as a motorist I must watch out for the bikes, buses or wheelchairs the are in the immediate area when I signal and begin the manoeuvre to turn left

However:

3) as a cyclist approaching the motorists car that is signaling to turn left you are now not permitted to undertake that car and must make adjustments to your course to avoid an accident.
      So basically don't drive or ride like an arse and we'll all be OK? Look out for each other, or, to put it another way, drive/ride with due care and attention.

I still believe if you made drivers cycle even just once in a busy town, many would get one hell of a wake-up call and treat cyclists very different.

I don't believe people are out to harm others, but there's a large percentage of drivers who get behind the wheel of their car and literally just switch off - they just point and drive and are too absorbed in the music/their phone/their makeup/daydreaming to notice much of what's going on around them. I see it when I'm driving and its even more apparent when cycling where you can often see drivers about to do something really stupid and it just unfolds before you, hopefully with enough time to avoid whatever it is they're about to do.

The problem is inconsiderate w*nkers, regardless of whether they're driving, cycling or just being allowed to mingle with the rest of us in everyday life.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I read that as if you are on a dedicated lane you are longer part of the road like being on a slip road.
        Cycling is covered specifically rules 59 - 82

Lines covered by 140

I cannot see anywhere in the highway code that grants that protection that you are assuming exists.

and because of that confusion lots of cyclists are getting maimed and killed. I think its time that the high way code stipulate your assumption as a fact. Because then finally have a solid structure that everyone can understand.

One other point.

Bikes are tremendously effective at covering ground maybe half the trouble is the fact that bikes regularly travel faster than their optimum stopping distance.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
          So basically don't drive or ride like an arse and we'll all be OK? Look out for each other, or, to put it another way, drive/ride with due care and attention.

I still believe if you made drivers cycle even just once in a busy town, many would get one hell of a wake-up call and treat cyclists very different.

I don't believe people are out to harm others, but there's a large percentage of drivers who get behind the wheel of their car and literally just switch off - they just point and drive and are too absorbed in the music/their phone/their makeup/daydreaming to notice much of what's going on around them. I see it when I'm driving and its even more apparent when cycling where you can often see drivers about to do something really stupid and it just unfolds before you, hopefully with enough time to avoid whatever it is they're about to do.

The problem is inconsiderate w*nkers, regardless of whether they're driving, cycling or just being allowed to mingle with the rest of us in everyday life.
          Anyone can use a bike - you simply walk into Halfords and buy one and off you go.

You need training and a licence to drive a HGV. They're generally drivers compared to "white van man".
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Cycling is covered specifically rules 59 - 82

Lines covered by 140

I cannot see anywhere in the highway code that grants that protection that you are assuming exists.

and because of that confusion lots of cyclists are getting maimed and killed. I think its time that the high way code stipulate your assumption as a fact. Because then finally have a solid structure that everyone can understand.

One other point.

Bikes are tremendously effective at covering ground maybe half the trouble is the fact that bikes regularly travel faster than their optimum stopping distance.

If I am on a dual carriageway in the outside line I need to MSM to change to the left hand lane, if I failed to do so I would be considered at fault. The fact one of the carriage ways only accommodates bikes doesn't change this inherent behaviour.

I would love to see this stipulated.

Bicycle stopping distances are surprisingly short compared to cars, the accidents I see are not normally because the cyclist fails to stop its because they are physically hit by a car coming into their path. I frequently stop in a car length as that is all I have.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X