• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what Pontefract is like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    No that is Ferrybridge
    Ah, looked on a map, does look a bit nearer than Drax when I think about it. That said, it's a bit of a blur at Mach 3.1
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Looks like you'd want to avoid Rotherham....

Rotherham child abuse charges: Eight guilty - BBC News
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
        Would avoid Pontefract & Cas, if you're looking for something a bit better, as Simonmac says Rothwell/Oulton are good options, along with Woodlesford. Higher prices but much better areas with Woodlesford station connecting with Leeds & Sheffield.

Wakefield station is on the line to London/Leeds, some decent areas on the outskirts like Newmillerdam and Durkar. Don't head east towards 'ull! From memory Hemsworth is also pretty decent. What's your wife's ideal commute time from Ponty?
        Ideally within 30 minutes door to door, give or take a few minutes. She works 4 days per week, so there is flexibility.

think we need to have a good look round the area and find somewhere. She's going to rent somewhere to start off with anyway.

Comment

Ponty and Cas are shiitholes, I live East of Wakey now when in UK, it's not too bad, but I am from Bolton and have low standards which says a lot about Ponty and Cas....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Ponty and Cas are shiitholes, I live East of Wakey now when in UK, it's not too bad, but I am from Bolton and have low standards which says a lot about Ponty and Cas....
            Where the F is not too bad between Wakey and Ponte? Sharlston? Streethouse? Normanton?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Where the F is not too bad between Wakey and Ponte? Sharlston? Streethouse? Normanton?
              Sandal seemed nice when I was there visiting friends.

What's South Elmsall like? I knew someone from there years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Sandal seemed nice when I was there visiting friends.

What's South Elmsall like? I knew someone from there years ago.
                Sandal is SW of Wakey, and is nice and expensive relatively, don't go to far that way though or you're in Barnsley!!!

South Elmsall like all old pit villages is dire as are Kinsley, Fitzwilliam, Upton, South Kirby, Minsthorpe. My mum was a health visitor round there
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Walton. Not bad!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Walton. Not bad!
                    Good call, forgot about there. Yeah not too bad at all considering the nearby alternatives.

Comment

Sandal is SW of Wakey, and is nice and expensive relatively, don't go to far that way though or you're in Barnsley!!!

South Elmsall like all old pit villages is dire as are Kinsley, Fitzwilliam, Upton, South Kirby, Minsthorpe. My mum was a health visitor round there
                      Dire as in depressing, dangerous, chavvy?

Comment

Working...
                      X