• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpay the mortgage VS saving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Though paying the primary house mortgage off by 40 felt great and made life more relaxed we then bought a much more expensive house
    Hi Vetran. Sounds similar to my situation. Looking at selling current home and moving to a 'much more expensive house' as you put it, but this will necessitate a £600k mortgage. Not sure I want the financial challenge but the 'forever home' dream could be achievable here. And frankly, I'm a little bored without having a mortgage to pay off

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Hi Vetran. Sounds similar to my situation. Looking at selling current home and moving to a 'much more expensive house' as you put it, but this will necessitate a £600k mortgage. Not sure I want the financial challenge but the 'forever home' dream could be achievable here. And frankly, I'm a little bored without having a mortgage to pay off
      oh I couldn't sleep with a £600K mortgage or service it !
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        oh I couldn't sleep with a £600K mortgage or service it !
        I used to think that - and still do to some extent - but you can fix the loan for 10 years at 2.39% which makes the monthly payments £2,650 on a repayment basis. Not unachievable for a working couple, assuming other living costs are taken into account too.

A 2 year fix brings the rate down to 1.09% (£2290). Or 5 years at 1.84% (£2490).

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong thing to do, just that I hadn't really considered such a large loan being relatively manageable before.

Comment

Purely from a math point of view - if the interest on your savings (after fees & tax) is higher than the interest of your debt, then you should save as opposed to overpaying. However, mortgages are a bit different than your typical debt in that you only have your rate for a certain period of time and thus need to consider the risk of a rate rise in the future.

Personally I'm doing this:
          ---
          Take 43k out of company, eat the 2k tax. (Same for the other half)
          Eat 3-4k per month "living" expenses.
          Overpay the mortgage 10%
          Vanguard lifestyle ISA

Business
          ---
          Savings account for the tax / warchest
          Extra to Vanguard lifestyle (math wise this should be a wrapped in a SIPP, but I don't do that)
          Once I have 100k in the vanguard looking at getting a SPV for a company BTL
          Maybe Peer2Peer lending.

Diversify for average returns over the long term. Near term doesn't matter that much since I won't be taking the money out because I don't want to pay the tax. Don't bet on individual stocks, don't try to get rich quick.

Just my opinion; YMMV.
          Last edited by fool; 23 October 2016, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            Purely from a math point of view - if the interest on your savings (after fees & tax) is higher than the interest of your debt, then you should save as opposed to overpaying. However, mortgages are a bit different than your typical debt in that you only have your rate for a certain period of time and thus need to consider the risk of a rate rise in the future.

---
            Overpay the mortgage 10%
            Vanguard lifestyle ISA

Business
            ---
            Extra to Vanguard lifestyle (math wise this should be a wrapped in a SIPP, but I don't do that)
            Maybe Peer2Peer lending.

Diversify for average returns over the long term. Near term doesn't matter that much since I won't be taking the money out because I don't want to pay the tax. Don't bet on individual stocks, don't try to get rich quick.

Just my opinion; YMMV.
            £4k / month living expenses! Really?
            I'm interested in the SPV idea. Have retained profits doing nothing in the company account and have considered SPV but not had time to pursue yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              £4k / month living expenses! Really?
              I'm interested in the SPV idea. Have retained profits doing nothing in the company account and have considered SPV but not had time to pursue yet.
              Yeah, does that seem high? To put it in perspective I'm down £2180 p/m on mortgage payments alone. Bills will easily take that to £2680 before I even buy dinner and a nice dinner will easily cost £40-£80.

Living down south isn't cheap. Not worth doing unless your rates are high.

Comment

£4k including your mortgage isnt high (IMHO).
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  £4k including your mortgage isnt high (IMHO).
                  Depends how much your mortgage payments are and how big your family is I guess.

I reckon my expenditure is ~£2,000 / month excluding mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post

---
                    Overpay the mortgage 10%
                    Vanguard lifestyle ISA

Business
                    ---
                    Maybe Peer2Peer lending.

Just my opinion; YMMV.
                    There us some benefit to clearing debt, if you need to borrow then you have slack. Also if you do fall on hard times you have less to service. Unless your debt is fixed rate for the term it makes sense to clear it while its cheap.

Though I suspect a lot of debt is going to be inflated away again shortly.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Agreed, your advice hasn't been helping and that premium number is costing me a fortune
                      But it keeps the old man in baccy.

Comment

Working...
                      X