• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of Booze

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    This could spell doom for Benedictine monks in Devon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfa...ast_Tonic_Wine
    Buckfast is actually pretty expensive.

(I don't drink it before anyone suggests so)

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
      There is actually an episode of "Still game" that aired last week where Alcohol got expensive and they ended up drinking "Moonshine" which made them go blind!

Personally, I don't think its a bad thing, I think Scotland has a big problem with the lower class alcohol drinkers. The amount of horror stories I hear from a Police friend is horrific.
      Or perhaps people should be responsible for their own actions?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Buckfast is actually pretty expensive.

(I don't drink it before anyone suggests so)
        It doesn't taste as bad as people make out although I guess the problem is more due to the its caffeine content.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I've lived in two countries with minimal alcohol pricing. All it means if you drink cheap tulip you are screwed. If you drink mid-priced and high end stuff you are ok.
          Well the drunks hanging on street corners tend to be fairly poor. Obviously it's not the case that all alcoholics are poor but it surely has an impact on those who just want the cheapest route to getting smashed.

Where does the extra money go e.g. if you are forced to sell for £2 what was previously £1.50, does the shop make an extra 50p? Or will suppliers push up their prices, or will they stop selling the stuff that cheap as people will now buy stuff that costs £2 already? Or does it go to government/charity directly?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            And ride around on unicorns, and all be excellent to each other all the time.

Apart from the argument that many of those affected could be classed as vulnerable people needing some protection, such people don't only damage their own lives but the lives of those around them.

The scale of Scotland's alcohol problem is maybe not appreciated by the English, or maybe not even by Scots who are used to it. Those Scots I know who moved/worked/studied in England, or English who moved to Scotland, definitely talk about the culture for drinking in Scotland being more pronounced.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Shop makes the money, but I suppose the suppliers and manufacturers will adjust to take a slice.

It all sounds well meaning but the problem will just move elsewhere, hundreds are dropping dead with fake valiums...

Fake valium epidemic: Blue pills flooding Scotland's streets and killing hundreds of users, warn insiders - Daily Record

...I suspect people will just shift to them. The SNP like eye catching policies but they usually end up going wrong down the line as they lack second order thinking.

Comment

That is very true however we live in a society that is full of people looking to blame someone or something else!

"Its the alcohols companies fault for glorifying alcohol consumption"

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1CB-D1TtXc

This is probably why!

Comment

Did anyone switch to brewing their own? It's fairly straight forward and the results are quite acceptable these days.
                    Nope.

The main problem was that a minority of teenagers would do what poor alcoholics do in this country e.g. make concoctions of alcoholic hand gel
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                      That is very true however we live in a society that is full of people looking to blame someone or something else!

"Its the alcohols companies fault for glorifying alcohol consumption"
                      If advertising didn't influence people then advertising alcohol to children wouldn't be banned.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X