• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance & HMRC Investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance & HMRC Investigations

Hi All

A relatively simple question:

I am just about to go through SC clearance. All of my answers will be completely above board / straight and I don't envisage any issues with the exception (possibly) of one:- Have you ever been investigated by HMRC?

I do currently have 5 Self Assessement Checks open from the HMRC; during a period when I was employed by a company who paid via a combination of salary and loan. I have also received 3 Accelerated Payment Notices for 3 particular years. I have had to pay no further tax over to HMRC and am challenging all checks. Equally, at no point when I received advice from my Accountant at the time did I know that my Self Assessment returns would be checked by HMRC.

Will this prevent me receiving SC clearance?

best

We have a sticky dedicated to these types of question. Your answer is in there.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...questions.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      We have a sticky dedicated to these types of question. Your answer is in there.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...questions.html
      ...but the quick answer is nobody knows, it depends on what you are being cleared for.

As I keep saying, clearance is not a binary, it is a risk assessment specific to the needs of the role. For example, it is fairly easy to see that your situation means you are probably not an enemy of the UK's interests but (with a clearance agency's hat on) having a potentially crippling debt hanging over you may make you open to other financial irregularities and hence coercion...

Answer the questions and see what happens. It is pointless tying to second guess the outcome.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As other posters have indicated, there are several complex factors to consider. Do you bleed your own radiators?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          As other posters have indicated, there are several complex factors to consider. Do you bleed your own radiators?
          Give the topic, I'd say "Have you ever been in a Turkish Prison?" is more pertinent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Give the topic, I'd say "Have you ever been in a Turkish Prison?" is more pertinent.
            +1. The other question is what would Suity BP do?

I've corrected it to be more appropriate for this situation.

For reference, I believe the answer is to break into a building and stand on the roof dressed as Batman / Robin but yvmv
            Last edited by eek; 27 October 2016, 13:32.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              +1. The other question is what would Suity BP do?

I've corrected it to be more appropriate for this situation.

For reference, I believe the answer is to break into a building and stand on the roof dressed as Batman / Robin but yvmv
              +1
              It also needs to be ascertained whether the OP uses a branded lubricant or a generic non branded one.

I can't believe that one was missed.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

They are only looking to see if you can tell the truth and are not in a position where information could be extorted from you in return for compensation; something debt might flag up.

Honestly honesty is the best policy.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  They are only looking to see if you can tell the truth and are not in a position where information could be extorted from you in return for compensation; something debt might flag up.

Honestly honesty is the best policy.
                  Says the guy who just ripped off an honest estate agent.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Says the guy who just ripped off an honest estate agent.
                    There's no honour amongst thieves.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X