• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Built in Obsolescence and decay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Saw this last night had a few interesting points about jobs slowly disappearing and UBI.

But the thing that struck most was Mouse Utopia

How Mice Turned Their Private Paradise Into A Terrifying Dystopia

How 1960s Mouse Utopias Led to Grim Predictions for Future of Humanity | Smart News | Smithsonian
    Mouse utopia!

Interesting. 'Universe 25' and 'behavioral sink' added to the memory bank.

No small part of this ugly barbarization has been due to sheer physical congestion: a diagnosis now partly confirmed with scientific experiments with rats – for when they are placed in equally congested quarters, they exhibit the same symptoms of stress, alienation, hostility, sexual perversion, parental incompetence, and rabid violence that we now find in the Megalopolis.
    Lewis Mumford, The City in History.

So basically London then...

Comment

Mouse utopia!

No small part of this ugly barbarization has been due to sheer physical congestion: a diagnosis now partly confirmed with scientific experiments with rats – for when they are placed in equally congested quarters, they exhibit the same symptoms of stress, alienation, hostility, sexual perversion, parental incompetence, and rabid violence that we now find in the Megalopolis.

Comment

Indeed if you see some previous posts 3D printing buildings does look like the way forward, a whole shell can be printed in days.

If that is so its not far off that standard wiring harnesses (like cars) will follow. Numbered connections on the entry to each room or an IDC on each floor.

A wet harness is the next step, supply & waste all rolled in.

its in a decade max.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          ******* hell are they using blind one legged people to build them? An intire block of stone flats just went up in Bath the whole process was about a month...
          And fall down in three years? Maybe...

When I worked near Lausanne there was roadworks to convert a t-junction to a roundabout. A year later is was still in progress. Near where I live, in a French town across the border, they converted a similar junction to a roundabout over a weekend.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            And fall down in three years? Maybe...

When I worked near Lausanne there was roadworks to convert a t-junction to a roundabout. A year later is was still in progress. Near where I live, in a French town across the border, they converted a similar junction to a roundabout over a weekend.
            one of them was paid for with EU money Seemples
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
              Mouse utopia!

Certainly explains the more relaxed way of life in Devon and Cornwall....

"When's the next bus?"
              "Ah, Tuesday I think."
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                ******* hell are they using blind one legged people to build them? An intire block of stone flats just went up in Bath the whole process was about a month...
                No he's right. In Cambridge there's a row of five new houses being built (where the Penny Ferry pub used to be) and these have been in progress for well over a year now and are still not finished.

Meanwhile, over the road a whole new estate of blocks of flats has gone up and been finished in literally a quarter of the time.

I would guess the first bunch of houses has had what might be called borderline finance, with a small private developer scrabbling around for funds at each stage, whereas the flats have been built by a larger company with presumably more than adequate cash flow and its own trademen always available.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  No he's right. In Cambridge there's a row of five new houses being built (where the Penny Ferry pub used to be) and these have been in progress for well over a year now and are still not finished.

Meanwhile, over the road a whole new estate of blocks of flats has gone up and been finished in literally a quarter of the time.

I would guess the first bunch of houses has had what might be called borderline finance, with a small private developer scrabbling around for funds at each stage, whereas the flats have been built by a larger company with presumably more than adequate cash flow and its own trademen always available.
                  They are either speculating hoping the prices go up, or have temporarily run short of "spare" money.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    They're building housing estates like mad where I live, and everyone it brick built, traditional construction with 1000's of workers involved, taking over 12 months to complete each one.

AI/Robots threat is 100 years off. I will be retired and living the high life in 5 years.
                    Modular houses are however becoming more popular in other nations. In the UK you see them on Grand Designs quite often but I don't think they are very popular.

However presumably commercial property is likely to go this route if it didn't already?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X