• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to car leasing – any catches here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    That applies to PCP type deals, not leasing.
    No it does occur in leasing but the costs are very reasonable the VW rates are based on BCA ones and are about £40 for a kerbed wheel

if the op is still looking I think this is a better value deal albeit not a SUV

https://www.nationalvehiclesolutions...al-Lease/44478 £3923 all in..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It does apply to leasing privately, because you can't be expected to lease a car worth say £50K and then hand it bad covered in dents, scratches, with all the seats ripped, alloys kerbed etc and think they will accept it.

Sounds like a load of hassle, I will stick to plonking £500 down at Honest John's Motors and taking his car of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        That is a lot for not very much car. You need to look at the initial payment not just the monthly cost. And factor in vat.

Leasing is a good option, I have just leased a mazda 3 sport for not much more than your Yeti and know what I would prefer...Shop, shop and shop around.
        I'm not really interested in anything particularly 'exciting' -- more practical and with lots of room.

I've looked at the total cost of the lease (inc VAT) and am using that as a basis for comparison for all deals, all in a fat spreadsheet. Why does the up-front cost make a difference, for instance? This Seat Leon (just picked as an example) works out as:

Deal 1: £2400, £80 for 23 months = £4,470 (inc admin fee)
        Deal 2: £170 x 3, £170 for 23 months = £4,668 (inc admin fee)

Paying more up-front works out cheaper here -- again, unless I'm missing something..? Or are these just rubbish deals?

That Pulsar deal is only £450 cheaper over two years and it's a manual. Auto deals tend to be much costlier, which is why that Yeti first caught my eye.

Comment

If you are an IPSE member there is a car leasing deal on their portal, no idea how good the deals are (or not).
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            If you are an IPSE member there is a car leasing deal on their portal, no idea how good the deals are (or not).
            Everything seems to be Personal Contract Purchase which to me isn't leasing....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Everything seems to be Personal Contract Purchase which to me isn't leasing....
              IPSE must be as confused as I am their page https://www.ipse.co.uk/car-leasing says

Discounted Car Leasing through Affinity Leasing
              Affinity Leasing buy direct from vehicle manufacturers, and in return for buying in volume, receive discounts of up to 40% from both the manufacturers and the dealers, all of which is passed on to IPSE members. All cars are brand new, are delivered direct from the manufacturer to you and include the full manufacturer's warranty. A maintenance plan can be included, which just leaves you with insurance and fuel, and Road fund license is included for at least the first year so you don't even have to worry about taxing the car!

A lease is a financial agreement whereby you drive a brand new vehicle for a set period of time and pay monthly. There are three types available:

Straightforward lease and hand back
              Lease with the option to buy at the end
              Traditional hire purchas
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                IPSE must be as confused as I am their page https://www.ipse.co.uk/car-leasing says
                It's the second of you options.

The thing is that were you to compare the difference in deals between a pch and a pcp for most cars the difference in cost is £000s and its not the PCP that is a good deal...

Mind you if you want a new car cash (and they are happy to sell at the cash price) the deals do look decent compared to Broadspeed...
                Last edited by eek; 7 November 2016, 20:12.

Comment

Working...
                X