• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you know...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake news

Source is probably tweets from Greg Phillips of VoteStart

Phillips tweeted:

We have verified more than three million votes cast by non-citizens.
    We are joining .@TrueTheVote*to initiate legal action.*#unrigged

Completed analysis of database of 180 million voter registrations. Number of non-citizen votes exceeds 3 million.Consulting legal team.
    That is a pretty impressive analysis to have been completed so fast, we look forward to seeing the methodology: however as 180 million is rather more than actually voted, even if this extraordinary analysis is correct, it does not to demonstrate that 3 million votes were illegtimate,

Also, 'non-citizen' is not the same as 'illegal', and neither actually has the right to vote (I believe).

Fake news, with all the hallmarks of a desperate attempt to muddy the waters.

Clinton is now 1.15 million votes ahead. I would not be surprised to see 2 million once all counts are complete.

Update 1 Stackexchange has a plausible explanation for the origin of the number

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...ntial-election

Update 2 This paper in the journal Electoral Studies, analysing a similar claim,concluded

This paper investigates the perils of making inferences about low-probability events from large-N survey data.

The authors show that a recent study purporting to demonstrate that non-citizens in the United States vote is almost certainly flawed.

The article concludes that the rate of non-citizen voting in the United States is likely 0.

Usual tactic, get your bogus number out there into the echo chamber; it takes a lot longer to debunk BS than it does to make it up. Welcome to post-truth politics.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 16 November 2016, 11:47. Reason: Phillips' affilliation was misreported.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Source is probably tweets from Greg Phillips of VoteStart.
      When SO made his post, I looked for sources. If I'd found a mainstream source (think Daily Mail and up), then I'd have let it go. Of course it was repeated over the usual far right/tin foil hat wearing/nutter blogs, but the original source appears to be electionnightgatekeepers . com. Which is a far right/tin foil hat wearing/nutter site.

He did say He didn't like my source - but I didn't specify a source.
      No. That's why I dug for it and found it. If you'd specified your source, I'd have banned you 15 minutes sooner.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        When SO made his post, I looked for sources. If I'd found a mainstream source (think Daily Mail and up), then I'd have let it go. Of course it was repeated over the usual far right/tin foil hat wearing/nutter blogs, but the original source appears to be electionnightgatekeepers . com. Which is a far right/tin foil hat wearing/nutter site.

No. That's why I dug for it and found it. If you'd specified your source, I'd have banned you 15 minutes sooner.
        If you're going to carry on a conversation with him, it could be a bit one-sided for a while...
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          If you're going to carry on a conversation with him, it could be a bit one-sided for a while...
          There's nothing he has to say that I particularly want to listen to.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

but the original source appears to be electionnightgatekeepers . com
            I thought so too, however this seems to be a mistake in transmission. The claim, as you say, is all over the Right Wingnut blogosphere sourced to two tweets from Gregg Phillips who is described on blogs as the founder of something called VoterFraud.org which in turn redirects to the conspiracy website Election Night Gatekeepers | Cutting Edge Information on Computerized Election Fraud Issues & Presidential Races, Past & Present full of paranoid claims of the 'ruling elite' and their 'secret computer programs'.

But I don't think Phillips is so affilliated, he seems to be part of various other orgs alleging fraud, but not that one. There's a reasonable writeup here

3 Million Illegal Immigrants Voted, Claims Gregg Phillips Of VoteStand: Donald Trump’s Final Popular Vote Count Alleged To Be Better Than 2016 Predictions

Now, evidence for the zombie voters?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              There's nothing he has to say that I particularly want to listen to.
              Ah, proper Mod skills coming shining through again then
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

#DrainTheCUK
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  Clinton is now 1.15 million votes ahead. I would not be surprised to see 2 million once all counts are complete.
                  Called it. Numbers now Trump:62,214,222 Clinton:64,223,958.

I make that a >3% margin for Clinton. The Republicans have lost the popular vote in six of the past seven elections. The president-elect is less popular than any incoming president in the history of polling. Interesting times.

Comment

No response then to the false racism claim then? It's what bigots cite in lieu of an actual argument, so I guess it's to be expected.

For people who think illegal alien voting isn't a thing, here's something from the WaPo back in 2014, when it was less of an 'big deal':

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mber-election/

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      Boo hoo hoo.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X