• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staples is no more - to Exit the UK back to the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westtester View Post
    It's literally years since I went into WH Smiths, books are easily found online and I don't buy magazines any more. I'm not sure if they still sell films and games?
    They still sell CDs on the motorway services, where they can keep their standard pricing and look just as extortionate as the next outlet.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Their business model has been to continually cut costs as much as possible and take the profit while they still can.

They've also split their business is 2, one is the high cost high footfall travel business, the other the high street stores where they cut costs as much as possible.
      WH Smiths units in train stations and airports actually make money simply because they have no competition.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I felt it was a good strategy of Pret to keep the prices at the airport the same as high streets. It was jammed, if only the other places had the same business skills.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          I felt it was a good strategy of Pret to keep the prices at the airport the same as high streets. It was jammed, if only the other places had the same business skills.
          I've got a subconscious boycott of Burger King and BP going on, mainly thanks to Frankley services on the M5. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
            I did use them once in a blue moon, but only for pens, pencils and storage boxes. Their Tech was overpriced and their furniture was shocking quality. I made the mistake of purchasing two office chairs from them - the screws from the seat support stuck through the padding.. it was like sitting on some form of torture chair. Plus, hard to compete with the home delivery companies like Viking direct.
            Good to know. My home office building will be complete next week and I was planning on going there to check out chairs, desks etc..... Who are their competitors? For stuff like furniture I'd like to go and actually take a look.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Good to know. My home office building will be complete next week and I was planning on going there to check out chairs, desks etc..... Who are their competitors? For stuff like furniture I'd like to go and actually take a look.
              You can get desks and chairs from other non-office specific retailers. For example IKEA does them as they see the business market as something they can make money out off.

To be honest I got my desk of eBay years ago. It is old office stock. Even with delivery from another part of the country it was cheaper and better quality than buying a new one.

There are random second hand furniture shops/yards around the country that do sell these on. I lived near one then moved then moved back in the area of the same shop after I bought the desk.

Office chairs it depends on your back. I brought mine from an online retailer of office supplies but I don't have a bad back.

Shelves are more of an issue as they are either cr*p so won't last e.g. from Staples or expensive e.g. custom made, vitsoe. The only cheap won't break shelves are IKEA ones.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I got my from a 2nd hand office furniture shop around my town, just so that I could sit in them, try them out, see how well (fast) they swivelled etc. Google is your friend for that. Otherwise, a chap I know bought some from viking, and they are fine (he paid £130 a chair) - free delivery and delivered next day.

Comment

Don't Staples in the UK also have an online presence, I know they do here as I order my office stuff that way from them even though their store is within walking distance from me. We also have Woolworths
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Try Costco? Or as others have said, there is Ikea or Viking Direct - risky as you can't see it beforehand but you can amaze yourself as some of the most obscure special offers - e.g. buy address labels and get a free Playmobil toy; buy lever arch files and get a free tin of sweets - I've known them to give away kites and pizza ovens and stuff. Odd.
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      WH Smiths units in train stations and airports actually make money simply because they have no competition.
                      The first and last time I paid more than £10 for a pack of fags was in a WH Smiths. The ultimate f-you was I couldn't legally consume the bloody product on the premises.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X