• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't think of a worse place to work.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at a company once that literally did a register at 9:15 and marked you as late if you were not there. Someone walked around with a register ticking your name off.

I worked there for almost 3 weeks before being offered a contract and leaving.

Before that I once worked at an American bank where we got an email once from our manager reminding us that our start time was 9:00 and not a few minutes passed :-)
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I worked at a place like that many moons ago, run by a Basil Fawlty type, every developer had 2 managers so if you were sick and not coming in you had to ring both of them to let them know, they both sat on the 'managers' bank of desks 2 feet from each other. Everyone (including the cleaner) had a company car except the devs!, 20 days holiday a year after you were there 5 years you started accruing a day a year up to the maximum of 25 days. Company pension with 0% company contribution...

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I worked at a company once that literally did a register at 9:15 and marked you as late if you were not there. Someone walked around with a register ticking your name off.

I worked there for almost 3 weeks before being offered a contract and leaving.

Before that I once worked at an American bank where we got an email once from our manager reminding us that our start time was 9:00 and not a few minutes passed :-)
        Every banking contract I've ever worked expected a 8.30-9 start, which is not unusual. In most professional working environments rolling in at 10am shows a serious lack of discipline.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
            Every banking contract I've ever worked expected a 8.30-9 start, which is not unusual. In most professional working environments rolling in at 10am shows a serious lack of discipline.
            Not necessarily.

In places where you are expected to work late rolling in at 10am is fine as you are likely to be there at 10pm or later.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most finance gigs I've done are pretty relaxed about start times.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                I worked at a place like that many moons ago, run by a Basil Fawlty type, every developer had 2 managers so if you were sick and not coming in you had to ring both of them to let them know, they both sat on the 'managers' bank of desks 2 feet from each other. Everyone (including the cleaner) had a company car except the devs!, 20 days holiday a year after you were there 5 years you started accruing a day a year up to the maximum of 25 days. Company pension with 0% company contribution...
                At least you got a company car.

Comment

Well this is the first time I've seen an employer attacked for providing free meals.

Also 9-6pm is a pretty standard 40 hour working week if they enforce an hour's lunch break (?) and it's not clear if you work until 6 or if you are simply not allowed to work past 6. 9-5 is a cushy government job
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Well this is the first time I've seen an employer attacked for providing free meals.

Also 9-6pm is a pretty standard 40 hour working week if they enforce an hour's lunch break (?) and it's not clear if you work until 6 or if you are simply not allowed to work past 6. 9-5 is a cushy government job
                    Not sure I like where "standard" is heading. Even in the consultancy world, a standard day on paper is 9 - 5:30 with an hour for lunch.

Comment

Why do you say "even in the consultancy world?"

37.5/40 seem the standard working weeks, I think that's what all the permie jobs I worked stipulated. The EU would like that shortened I believe but we don't like their ideas

That 30 minutes makes a big difference though, the bigger thing is flexibility. Forcing everyone to work 9-6 flies in the face of the modern trend towards flexible working but then maybe that's just a liberal virtue-signalling cop-out by employers wanting to look like they give a crap about their employees while not raising their salaries or giving them job security.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X