We is all fick We is all fick
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: We is all fick

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Default We is all fick

UK lags behind in Pisa rankings linky Doesn't help that no one wants to be a teacher especially in Maths and Science.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Super poster

woohoo is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    UK lags behind in Pisa rankings linky Doesn't help that no one wants to be a teacher especially in Maths and Science.
    yeah but are Pisa rankings actually relevant.

Do you just end up kids that are robots and can't think outside of what they have been taught?

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

Maths, science and engineering have been ignored for decades in the UK. As a contractor in engineering I never got anything like the rates one could get in banking.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Yeah but the French & Germans are thicker
    Swiss are definitely bottom drawer.

My take on it

Education is a combination of great teachers who know how to put a point across plus excite students & great students who really want to learn.

Following the footsteps of giants make teachers want to excel.
    Having a fairly strict society helps with discipline.
    Being truly poor tends to make pupils hungry to learn.

We need to look at what Finland & Estonia are doing better than us as well as those orientals that are doing so well.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Maths, science and engineering have been ignored for decades in the UK. As a contractor in engineering I never got anything like the rates one could get in banking.
    The lack of decent physics grads is a cause for concern to my friend who builds mass spectrometers. One of his main concerns is that the gap between GCSE maths and A Level maths is bigger than ever because GCSE league tables have overtaken anything else as a measure in education.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Super poster

ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    The lack of decent physics grads is a cause for concern to my friend who builds mass spectrometers. One of his main concerns is that the gap between GCSE maths and A Level maths is bigger than ever because GCSE league tables have overtaken anything else as a measure in education.
    Physics wasn't even offered at GCSE when I was at school. "General Science" was the best I could get. Good old Catholic schools... Two hours a week on Religious Education that could have been better used on something useful (and interesting).

Contractor Among Contractors

pr1 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Physics wasn't even offered at GCSE when I was at school. "General Science" was the best I could get. Good old Catholic schools... Two hours a week on Religious Education that could have been better used on something useful (and interesting).
    Physics has the word "theory" all over the place, which translates as "we are just guessing". The word of God is all that matters

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Physics GCSE was so easy compared to A Level as well unfortunately. The snowflake generation were created by the educators unfortunately.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

I didn't do Physics GCSE. I did it for O & A levels, but that's cause I'm an old fart.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    And the gap between A-level Maths and university level maths is also high.
    A-level maths is a joke now compared to when I did it in the 80s, bite sized questions leading you to the answers.
    Which means university maths has also fallen in standard, since the raw material cannot deal with sophisticated concepts.
    But that means old farts like me stay in business as the younger generation are so crap, mathematically
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal