• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carpy website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    many 5 year olds would manage to remember helmet, lights & reflective clothing at night so would vastly exceed the ability of most cyclists.
    True.

I live in an area where loads of schools do bikeability courses and have done so for decades when they were called cycling proficiency.

So in Summer and Autumn you see lots of kids from ages 8-12 cycling with one of their parents. Unfortunately while the kids do everything properly including taking primary position when appropriate, their parents are mostly just damn dangerous e.g. kerb hugging, filtering when inappropriate.

However by the time the kids are old enough to get a driving licence their behaviour on the road is worse than their parents e.g. cycling without lights, cycling with headphones in, cycling on the pavement.

In other words like drivers they learn bad habits as they realise they can get away with them. Most kids are completely law abiding while adults workout which laws they can break.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Not if kids under a certain age may only ride with adults [who have passed the test]. Or if younger riders may only ride during daylight hours or restricted to certain classes of road. Piddling around your back lane and venturing out onto a busy multi-lane main road are pretty different - what ARE the rules out of interest?

FTFY. Also if these cyclists not wearing all that guff are so hard to see, how can you confidently state how many of them there are? It's like some form of dark matter surely, hard to detect

Anyone can cycle on any lanes except where you are forbidden e.g. motorways.

Also hard to see doesn't mean you don't see them when you are practically on top of them whether you are cycling, driving, walking etc.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Not if kids under a certain age may only ride with adults [who have passed the test]. Or if younger riders may only ride during daylight hours or restricted to certain classes of road. Piddling around your back lane and venturing out onto a busy multi-lane main road are pretty different - what ARE the rules out of interest?

wrote some cobblers. Also if these cyclists not wearing all that guff are so hard to see, how can you confidently state how many of them there are? It's like some form of dark matter surely, hard to detect
        Children over 10 are expected to ride on the roads (below that they can use pavements). Children can go out at almost any age however its more likely they should be capable of looking after themselves so about 5-8 years old. I'm not sure there are any exact rules.

My daughters at 5 used to get a helmet etc. without being told when they went out with me. At 10 they were allowed with friends in the day across to the park etc.

The reason I know how many there are out there is because just before I run them over I see them and manage to make an emergency stop.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
          Yeah, but this twat wants cars turning left to give way to bicycles undertaking them.
          Madness.
          You want to be allowed to drive into bikes undertaking you?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Signed.
            I get up...

Comment

If this was to be brought in, then it should also include that indication is used when turning for all road users, and that if a road user is already in a manoeuvre, other road users should not attempt to pass them cutting across the direction of their manoeuvre.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If this was to be brought in, then it should also include that indication is used when turning for all road users, and that if a road user is already in a manoeuvre, other road users should not attempt to pass them cutting across the direction of their manoeuvre.
                Problem is without any witnesses or a camera you aren't going to be able to prove they have done so especially on a rural Road.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Problem is without any witnesses or a camera you aren't going to be able to prove they have done so especially on a rural Road.

I wasn't thinking in terms of proving, I was thinking in terms of road-user education.

Educate that "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre" is valid for all road users.
                  Look around - is it safe?
                  Signal your intention - is it still safe?
                  Make your move.

If a road user signals without looking, or moves without signalling or looking, then they are a risk to themselves and others.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X