Rich/Tight contractors? Rich/Tight contractors?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 24

Should post faster

amanwhoisquiet is good enough for Jehovah!

Default Rich/Tight contractors?

I've yet to take any dividends at all this year, and have only taken minimum salary.
    I've seen this mentioned in a post today and I don't want to hijack the thread to ask this question but how does someone make this work? I've seen it mentioned on the site before with regard to pensions (putting all ir35 contract earnings into a pension for example). I get that some of the guys on here have been doing it for years and might have a substantial pers acct warchest, but what's even the point of this? Isn't it just good sense to draw divis up to the top of the basic rates?

What am I missing?

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    I've seen this mentioned in a post today and I don't want to hijack the thread to ask this question but how does someone make this work? I've seen it mentioned on the site before with regard to pensions (putting all ir35 contract earnings into a pension for example). I get that some of the guys on here have been doing it for years and might have a substantial pers acct warchest, but what's even the point of this? Isn't it just good sense to draw divis up to the top of the basic rates?

What am I missing?
    I guess the key is in the word "yet"?

I haven't yet taken dividends this last Co year, as I'm still "living" on divs paid to the max amount last Co year.

Should post faster

That would explain it I suppose. I'm still in year 1 so I'm still a bit hand to mouth (not quite that severe).

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    That would explain it I suppose. I'm still in year 1 so I'm still a bit hand to mouth (not quite that severe).
    Quite often the case when you start.

I will only be taking one singular dividend this company year.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

The traditional way was for companies to pay a dividend once a year, and a lot of companies still do that. Paying yourself less than you need to live on and topping it up with regular dividends is more of a tax avoider thing.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    The traditional way was for companies to pay a dividend once a year, and a lot of companies still do that. Paying yourself less than you need to live on and topping it up with regular dividends is more of a tax avoider thing.
    strange most shares I have pay 2 dividends one 'interim' which is based on the 6 monthly forecast and one final which is after the accounts are finished and they actually know how much they can issue.

However it is suggested it can be more frequent, quarterly seems popular.

Dividend timetable | HSBC Holdings plc
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'm aware of how that might look. My accountant provides a planner by the month as to 'remaining dividends allowed', so there's some implicit understanding that this is done. Although now you mention it, shifting it to quarterly wouldn't upset me much.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    strange most shares I have pay 2 dividends one 'interim' which is based on the 6 monthly forecast and one final which is after the accounts are finished and they actually know how much they can issue.

However it is suggested it can be more frequent, quarterly seems popular.

Dividend timetable | HSBC Holdings plc
    Some of the share holdings I have pay 2 interim and one final. Bloody annoying as you have to work out why you suddenly have some money.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Contractor Among Contractors

pr1 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some of the share holdings I have pay 2 interim and one final. Bloody annoying as you have to work out why you suddenly have some money.
    first world problems

I live on CUK

SueEllen is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by pr1 View Post
    first world problems
    Yep.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR