• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividends for 2016-17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividends for 2016-17

According to this article:

Dividend tax (rules 2016/17 on)

it states the following:

"2016/17 example: the dividend allowance is within your basic rate tax band

If you are a basic rate taxpayer, and you receive all your taxable income in dividends you will be up to £2,025 worse off.

The basic rate tax threshold for 2016/17 is £43,000 (personal allowance of £11,000, plus basic rate tax band of £32,000)

If a dividend of £32,000 is received it is taxable as follows, breaking it down into the different "slices":

The first £5,000 - covered by your dividend allowance

The next £27,000 (the remainder of your basic rate band) - taxed at the new 7.5% = £2,025 tax due."

Suppose my salary is only £8,060. I take £5,000 as dividends. Does that mean I can take a further £29,940 (as opposed to only £27,000) and have that taxed at 7.5%?

Thanks

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
    Suppose my salary is only £8,060. I take £5,000 as dividends. Does that mean I can take a further £29,940 (as opposed to only £27,000) and have that taxed at 7.5%?

You would have £8060 of Salary at 0% tax
    Then £2940 of Dividends at 0% tax
    Then another £5000 of Dividends at 0% tax
    Then the remaining £27,000 at 7.5% dividend tax.

The difference, therefore, in paying £8060 salary + £34940 dividends compared to £11000 salary + £32000 are a) the Employer and Employee NICs on the £2940 extra salary or b) Corporation Tax at 20% on an extra £2940 (given you get CT relief on salary, but not dividends).

What I can't be bothered working out is what the NICs are on that £2940 compared to the corporation tax.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Woo-hoo.. A numbers thread we haven't ballsed up multiple times!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          You would have £8060 of Salary at 0% tax
          Then £2940 of Dividends at 0% tax
          Then another £5000 of Dividends at 0% tax
          Then the remaining £27,000 at 7.5% dividend tax.

The difference, therefore, in paying £8060 salary + £34940 dividends compared to £11000 salary + £32000 are a) the Employer and Employee NICs on the £2940 extra salary or b) Corporation Tax at 20% on an extra £2940 (given you get CT relief on salary, but not dividends).

What I can't be bothered working out is what the NICs are on that £2940 compared to the corporation tax.
          Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Comment

Well CT is 20% and NICs are (13.8 + 2)% (I think, without looking it all up) so it look like salary is more efficient. But ICBW...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Woo-hoo.. A numbers thread we haven't ballsed up multiple times!!!
              92nd time, sorry 94th time lucky (ballsed up there)...

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
                According to this article:

Dividend tax (rules 2016/17 on)

it states the following:

"2016/17 example: the dividend allowance is within your basic rate tax band

If you are a basic rate taxpayer, and you receive all your taxable income in dividends you will be up to £2,025 worse off.

The basic rate tax threshold for 2016/17 is £43,000 (personal allowance of £11,000, plus basic rate tax band of £32,000)

If a dividend of £32,000 is received it is taxable as follows, breaking it down into the different "slices":

The first £5,000 - covered by your dividend allowance

The next £27,000 (the remainder of your basic rate band) - taxed at the new 7.5% = £2,025 tax due."

Thanks
                The steer I was given was to draw a much larger dividend in fy 2015/16 and pay the additional income tax on that, rather than leave in the company and draw out as dividends on fy 2016/17 when I would then have to pay the dividend tax. This way overall I would be paying less tax.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Well CT is 20% and NICs are (13.8 + 2)% (I think, without looking it all up) so it look like salary is more efficient. But ICBW...
                  So I bothered to look it up now.

NICs on £11k Salary would be £353 for employee NICs, plus £399 employer NICs. (unless you get employment allowance).
                  Corp Tax on that £2940 would be £588.

So I guess the answer is if you qualify for Employment Allowance, then take £11k salary. If not, then take £8060 salary.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    So I bothered to look it up now.

NICs on £11k Salary would be £353 for employee NICs, plus £399 employer NICs. (unless you get employment allowance).
                    Corp Tax on that £2940 would be £588.

So I guess the answer is if you qualify for Employment Allowance, then take £11k salary. If not, then take £8060 salary.
                    I thought all the basic guides out there said that when advising options for 2016?
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:45.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X