• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hangover Irish style

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hangover Irish style

The pair have spent the past two months travelling across the Middle East. After hitch-hiking from the Iran border to Sulaymaniyah in northern Iraq, they made acquaintances with Kurdish freedom fighters, the Peshmerga military force....they were invited to visit the warzone the day after having a drinking session with some of the Kurdish fighters
    How was hitch-hiking in northern Iraq ever a good idea

Backpackers on day-trip to Iraq warzone left 'terrified' - Herald.ie
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Going drinking in Belfast in the 90s was scary enough.

I think even I would think that was a bad idea.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Going drinking in Belfast in the 90s was scary enough.

I think even I would think that was a bad idea.
      Still in the 2000's there were plenty of places recommended not to go.

The guys who I was working with took me for a drive showing exactly where to go and where to avoid, the city center was fine though.
      The murals on the walls let you know whose territory you were on.

I really enjoyed Belfast

The two places I have been where I shouldn't have been was in Laos, before it was open and Pakistan where we rode in on Camels across the desert from India.
      I was only 18, so was both young and foolish back then
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Still in the 2000's there were plenty of places recommended not to go.

The guys who I was working with took me for a drive showing exactly where to go and where to avoid, the city center was fine though.
        The murals on the walls let you know whose territory you were on.

I really enjoyed Belfast

The two places I have been where I shouldn't have been was in Laos, before it was open and Pakistan where we rode in on Camels across the desert from India.
        I was only 18, so was both young and foolish back then
        By and large you'd more than likely get away with it by playing the tourist card. In fact you'll more than likely be told to 'clear off' first before any trouble.

I was once in a 'night club' called The Elephant Rooms in Belfast and got invited to a show of [paramilitary] strength on the Shankill. That said, I have always felt far safer when out in Belfast than I ever did in parts of suburban south London.

Comment

I went with an ex boxer catholic and an Orangeman between them they managed to keep me safe.

Beautiful city, lovely people, just a few nutters ruining it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            By and large you'd more than likely get away with it by playing the tourist card. In fact you'll more than likely be told to 'clear off' first before any trouble.

I was once in a 'night club' called The Elephant Rooms in Belfast and got invited to a show of [paramilitary] strength on the Shankill. That said, I have always felt far safer when out in Belfast than I ever did in parts of suburban south London.
            Most parts of South London are better now, but still don't like Brixton after a certain time, more crazies, junkies and crack fiends than you can shake a stick at.

I was in Belfast for 2 months out every night, had an absolute ball.

Did get drawn into an Irish vs British argument, with a couple of virtually paralytic guys one night, however we became friends when they realised I hated Blair more than they did
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              How was hitch-hiking in northern Iraq ever a good idea

Backpackers on day-trip to Iraq warzone left 'terrified' - Herald.ie
              Good acclimatisation for a night out in Limerick.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Good acclimatisation for a night out in Stab city.
                FTFY
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                X