• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hypocritical virtue signalling celebrities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypocritical virtue signalling celebrities

Rio Ferdinand donates £500k of toys to children charity - BBC News

(And yes he is worth enough he can afford it before someone wants to spoil it. I reckon on that basis it's roughly equivalent to one of us giving 10-20k)
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

(And yes he is worth enough he can afford it before someone wants to spoil it. I reckon on that basis it's roughly equivalent to one of us giving 10-20k)
    You're being harsh. It's equivalent to PC giving £292.40, which would be quite a chunk at this time of year.

Comment

Giving that is nothing of the sort for us. That always makes me laugh. His lifestyle wouldn't be affected in the slightest by this lovely gesture. My wife would de-bollock me if I gave 15 grand to charity.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It is not virtue signalling it is virtuous action. Nor is it accompanied by the sound of criticising others.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Giving that is nothing of the sort for us. That always makes me laugh. His lifestyle wouldn't be affected in the slightest by this lovely gesture. My wife would de-bollock me if I gave 15 grand to charity.
          so many shoes so little money?

I think he does a lot more

Rio Ferdinand Foundation
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Exactly - you've got to take into account overheads. The richer you are, the greater, as a proportion of your income, is your disposable income. At least, if you're being sensible.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              so many shoes so little money?

I think he does a lot more

Rio Ferdinand Foundation
              If I'd earned, on average, £2.5million per year for the last fifteen years, I wouldn't miss half a million. If you've been on £50k average for the last 15 years, you'd miss ten grand. I give to charity and help out voluntarily with junior sports. I don't make a big song and dance about it though (unless I'm DJing a fundraiser for free).
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If I'd earned, on average, £2.5million per year for the last fifteen years, I wouldn't miss half a million. If you've been on £50k average for the last 15 years, you'd miss ten grand. I give to charity and help out voluntarily with junior sports. I don't make a big song and dance about it though (unless I'm DJing a fundraiser for free).
                Didn't know you were a necromancer of the wheels of steel!

Comment

It isn't about how much money one has, if one is of a generous nature then giving a large sum is easy. Much more difficult for us Scrooges. I must have donated at least three quid to charity within the last few years and it really hurt! In a way that matters, I have made a much greater sacrifice for others.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Isn't 50k low for a contractor? If I'd been contracting successfully for 15 years 10-20k would be significant but wouldn't really affect me. That's one year's ISA nothing more

Anyway my point was: good on him.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X