• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Former soldiers to be prosecuted for IRA man's murder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former soldiers to be prosecuted for IRA man's murder

Former soldiers to be prosecuted for IRA man's murder - BBC News

Well that's Christmas fecked for these 2. Give the grandkids one last kiss.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2171582
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 19 December 2016, 06:14. Reason: Adding context

Comment

I am very dubious about pursuing these old cases, when concrete evidence has disappeared, when defence witnesses may no longer be available, when memories have become hazy, when those making the accusations are hostile and have an interest in smearing our army, when there is money to be made by accusers and their lawyers. Soldiers should abide by international laws but if they did indeed flout them, why could that not be proven at the time?

I am afraid if we carry on like this, nobody in our armed forces will be willing to fire a bullet unless they have written authority to do so, signed in triplicate. It's the only way they are going to avoid being worried for the next 50 years.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

PS Banned as an IRA apologist? I'll get banned for praising my hero Adolph next!
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I am very dubious about pursuing these old cases, when concrete evidence has disappeared, when defence witnesses may no longer be available, when memories have become hazy, when those making the accusations are hostile and have an interest in smearing our army, when there is money to be made by accusers and their lawyers. Soldiers should abide by international laws but if they did indeed flout them, why could that not be proven at the time?

I am afraid if we carry on like this, nobody in our armed forces will be willing to fire a bullet unless they have written authority to do so, signed in triplicate. It's the only way they are going to avoid being worried for the next 50 years.
          Well said, I would add, money would be better spent prosecuting rogue bankers
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I am more concerned about double standards. After Easter 97 I thought that old cases would not be dragged up to allow peace? It should be the same for both sides.

Comment

As a former British Army soldier, I am becoming increasingly worried that lawyers representing Figure 11 targets (such as that depicted in the photo) may pursue me for damages to said wooden targets.
              Where will it all end I wonder?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  With any luck......
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I am more concerned about double standards
                    Good point. Sometimes it is unfortunately necessary to make an accord with revolutionaries, terrorists, dictators, etc. to prevent even more deaths. Absurd we should not prosecute them and still pursue our own forces for less premeditated acts.

Another factor is the nature of war. When most of us make mistakes in our jobs the consequences are pretty minor. Being a soldier in a conflict is much harder. Suppose you round a corner in an area of armed rebels and see someone hiding behind a bush. Is it an armed enemy about to shoot you or an innocent civilian? You have just moments to make the decision whether to fire or not. Not easy.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X