• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your number?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Blimey. This thread is an eye opener. I thought most of us worked for the flexibility. I'm surprised at those that just had half days with family or no holidays at all? I had 2 family hols, a lads holiday, went on tour and plenty of long weekends etc cause I can. It must be me that's doing something wrong
    you don't bill for your time while on holidays? AYCOTBAC?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I guess having a local contract where I am home every night I have not felt "away" from the family
      Absolutely this. Working away solidly for 2 years you've got to work hard at the quality time at home so the trips are all part of that. I probably wouldn't be away quite as much if I was local, except maybe to get away from the family for some peace and quiet

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Saving for a deposit for a house in London so happy to put in a few tough yrs and take it easier afterwards. And I'm local to home so home to get the kids ready in the morning and put them to bed
      Sounds very sensible and lucky with the to be able to do that and spend family time. Make hay while the sun shines.

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
      Pub rocker?

Anyhow. I've only started in April this year and I've had about 8 days off from max billable days. I am doing this for the flexibility, but with the understanding that it's future me that'll be getting the benefit.
      Nah, rugger bugger. Well, was...

Make sure you've got the warchest well stocked first and foremost. Get that behind you and it becomes a lot less stressful. Funny that people come contracting for money. I've never been as skint as I was in my first year contracting
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Blimey. This thread is an eye opener. I thought most of us worked for the flexibility. I'm surprised at those that just had half days with family or no holidays at all? I had 2 family hols, a lads holiday, went on tour and plenty of long weekends etc cause I can. It must be me that's doing something wrong

+1

I have as much time off as is feasible.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          +1

I have as much time off as is feasible.
          Feasible is an interesting word, guess with all the supposed doom and gloom, the end of contracting is nigh sentiments I have been scared of giving up a days billing as you never know whats round the corner.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Feasible is an interesting word, guess with all the supposed doom and gloom, the end of contracting is nigh sentiments I have been scared of giving up a days billing as you never know whats round the corner.
            Life's too short to chase the last penny....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Life's too short to chase the last penny....
              Don't I know it!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dicky heart) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dick(y heart)) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.
                  I meet 3 out 5 of those requirements....

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dicky heart) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.
                    Get your claws out of Dodgy, he's mine.

Comment

You're doing it right, it's the rest of us doing it wrong! I always start the year saying I'll work for 6 months and take 6 months off, but then the extensions get offered up and it's hard to say no. Last year (2016) 235 days.

2017 I have a contract until the end of December but I'm not convinced it'll go that long - most of my deliverables due by end July, followed by a second phase of deliverables from August to December but I'm not convinced I need to do 100% to do that, so either part time from August or step out and someone else can take over.
                      Last edited by Whorty; 30 December 2016, 13:51.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X