• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not all clients are bad - nice one here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all clients are bad - nice one here

Got to be fair my current one is probably the best ever. Well the local guys at least.

Out of the blue, got offered a gig yesterday. Never had that before - 5 min chat when can you start.

7 miles from home. Decent rate. With the uncertainty at current client (and its maybe public sector) I can't see it going for another extension anyway (and I've been here over two years). With the ongoing saga with my old man and dear wifes health a local gig would be golden at this point.

The problem is I'm in current gig until end Feb and new place want mid Jan latest start. Problem.

So I've spoken to Service Manager at current client. He good as gold to be honest and has been good to me over the last two years. So I was straight with him and hes happy to try and sort something for end Jan maybe. Which is pretty good of him.

Unfortunately, head office will have the final say so it might go pear-shaped yet. Going to be a challenge to get something sorted mind before xmas.

NLUK will be proud of me. I've got no intention of pulling a sickie or leaving without notice. Still be a bit gutted if they say no.

But any other options?
    Last edited by psychocandy; 6 January 2017, 08:56.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Sounds like you're on a fixed term with no termination clause?

I wonder if your friendly Service Manager could fabricate a breach of contract that would mean they have to exit you?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Sounds like you're on a fixed term with no termination clause?

I wonder if your friendly Service Manager could fabricate a breach of contract that would mean they have to exit you?
      Its a proper contract albeit three months with no notice period for me. Client (the consultancy) has a one week notice which the service manager will invoke if hes allowed to. Which clears things up with the agency.

But obviously I cant exect him to put his neck on the line for me.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Got to be fair my current one is probably the best ever. Well the local guys at least.

Out of the blue, got offered a gig yesterday. Never had that before - 5 min chat when can you start.

7 miles from home. Decent rate. With the uncertainty at current client (and its maybe public sector) I can't see it going for another extension anyway (and I've been here over two years). With the ongoing saga with my old man and dear wifes health a local gig would be golden at this point.

The problem is I'm in current gig until end Feb and new place want mid Jan latest start. Problem.

So I've spoken to Service Manager at current client. He good as gold to be honest and has been good to me over the last two years. So I was straight with him and hes happy to try and sort something for end Jan maybe. Which is pretty good of him.

Unfortunately, head office will have the final say so it might go pear-shaped yet. Going to be a challenge to get something sorted mind before xmas.

NLUK will be proud of me. I've got no intention of pulling a sickie or leaving without notice. Still be a bit gutted if they say no.

But any other options?
        What's your notice period? Sounds like you don't have one or not willing to use it.

If that's the case it's probably fool hardy. Considering everything going on at home a local gig would be ideal so I wouldn't risk losing the new gig.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          What's your notice period? Sounds like you don't have one or not willing to use it.

If that's the case it's probably fool hardy. Considering everything going on at home a local gig would be ideal so I wouldn't risk losing the new gig.
          No notice period like I said. Client has one week.

Hmmm all well and good saying that but I can't ditch the current gig like that. NLUK would disagree with me but even I've got some principles. Not many mind.

But current client have been very good to me over the past two years.

Comment

RoS is your friend here.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Having been on the other side of this, where guys on my team have been offered gigs close to home, particularly if the client engages a lot of contractors as a matter of course, there is usually no drama in letting them go. If the immediate client you work with has no qualms, I wouldn't see much of a problem, contract terms or not.

Yeah, it's a pig to find a replacement, but holding someone back from a good opportunity only guarantees you're probably going to lose them sooner rather than later anyway, whilst not necessarily receiving the best from them until that point.

But then, I'm speaking with my limited experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                RoS is your friend here.
                Hmm. Good point - its in the contract of course. BUT,

1) Client would probably not go for it.
                2) Where would I get someone?

Comment

Originally posted by jjdarg View Post
                  Having been on the other side of this, where guys on my team have been offered gigs close to home, particularly if the client engages a lot of contractors as a matter of course, there is usually no drama in letting them go. If the immediate client you work with has no qualms, I wouldn't see much of a problem, contract terms or not.

Yeah, it's a pig to find a replacement, but holding someone back from a good opportunity only guarantees you're probably going to lose them sooner rather than later anyway, whilst not necessarily receiving the best from them until that point.

But then, I'm speaking with my limited experience.
                  Im hoping this. If it was totally up to the local people then they know how I've been last few years and it'd be ok. But some face at head office who doesnt care a monkeys might be different...

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    1) Client would probably not go for it.
                    Which is exactly what you want - you are trying to meet the contract, client will not accept that. Client is in breach of contract, so you have no option but to terminate for breach.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X