• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Present Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not the type but getting stick time in a Tiger Moth? Awesome present if not very economical. Just do it with a GoPro mounted somewhere and spend yer own dosh on what you want to fly.

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    A 20 minute 'chocks away to chocks on' flight in a Tiger Moth at Duxford.

That translates pretty much to a single (extended) circuit. Plus the arse that is navigating the A14 between the A1 and M11. Twice. In a single day. An nobody to invoice for my time.

Then there's the fact that the old bird will only fly if the weather is perfect. If it is working.

Basically means giving up most of my summer weekends for the offchance of 'enjoying' 10 minutes of prop wash.

The £300(ish) would be much better invested in time in a Cessna Aerobat and/ or a weight shift microlight.

Mrs RS bought the voucher on December 5th. The small print (not brought to her attention at the time of purchase) says full refund only in first 14 days

I've sent off the initial, polite, email asking for a full refund.

In the meantime she's ordered some Olympic bumper plates as a partial replacement.

(which is what I said I wanted in the first place)
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      It's not the type but getting stick time in a Tiger Moth? Awesome present if not very economical. Just do it with a GoPro mounted somewhere and spend yer own dosh on what you want to fly.
      AYCOTBAC????

£300 notes to fly a piece of real history?

Not my thing but if it were worth every penny, YOLO.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        AYCOTBAC????

£300 notes to fly a piece of real history?

Not my thing but if it were worth every penny, YOLO.
        I got lucky and was privileged to fly many types that very few will even see flying now but not a Tiger Moth yet. Doesn't matter what the cost is and the fact it can be done much cheaper it's a very thoughtful Christmas present. I'd be delighted to have someone so aware of my interests that they would do that.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          it's a very thoughtful Christmas present.
          Yep. It was thoughtful when she did it 10(ish) years ago and the voucher lapsed after numerous bookings and subsequent cancellations, including one when I was actually en route in my car. Yes, I could have paid some more to extend the voucher validity, but I had already lost too much of my life to be arsed doing that.

Incidentally, she had totally forgotten that she had already done that one.

A similar thing happened when she booked a baloon flight for me. Cancellation after cancellation. Then the last one was cancelled only after we had all arrived at the launch site. Again, too much life squandered.

Comment

YOLO.
            Yep, that's why I cut my losses.

Comment

Here you go a proper tree

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Here you go a proper tree

I saw that tree in the paper and thought very environmentally friendly. It has more use than the standard tree...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X