• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up booze - almost entirely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And how do you get the self discipline?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      And how do you get the self discipline?
      That's a good question. I was brought up that way. I don't know if you can learn that later if it's missing in your character by adulthood.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I try to have at least as many non-drinking days as drinking days. I mainly try and drink on fridays and saturdays with maybe one night during the week too. You are never far away from the next beer/wine/scotch and having lime & soda or filter coffee/green tea evenings is actually quite enjoyable too.
        So is the distinct absence of hangovers (which I seem to suffer quite badly from!!)
        Aah yes the liquid version of the 5, 2 diet

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Aah yes the liquid version of the 5, 2 diet
          Pretty much, yes.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            I drink too much. I know that. Not massively in binges, but regularly like a couple of pints and a couple of big shots (whiskey or rum or vodka + a mixer) every evening. It's my excuse for relaxation and it really helps to deal with the wife and kids and the general end-of-day de-stress, or as I see it anyway. It makes me feel relaxed, to forget about the S-H-I-T.

But of course it's just a distraction. The buzz is not real and so the continual need to do this is a barrier to moving on and a barrier to improving myself and my life.

I need to stop drinking. I want to stop drinking. But I don't know if I can do it because it's part of my routine and I'm used to having a drink every evening. And frankly I really enjoy it.

So how can I do this? How can I get over the need for a drink every evening? Won't life be ever so difficult, stressful and boring without it?
            3.5 months without booze. Not a drop. Though I had a sniff of my mate's whiskey in a bar once.

I made it until April 15th and then had 3.5 pints of lager to celebrate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              3.5 months without booze. Not a drop. Though I had a sniff of my mate's whiskey in a bar once.

I made it until April 15th and then had 3.5 pints of lager to celebrate.
              Well done!

Sure you deserved it. Did you lose much weight?

I'm going on a 3 month dry period myself.

Been a heavy few months for me for various reasons & Sunday night I let off steam big time.

I never want to feel like that again....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                Well done!

Sure you deserved it. Did you lose much weight?
                About 2 inches off my waist and 6 Kgs but I'm only ~65Kg anyway.

I'm going on a 3 month dry period myself.
                Sounds like something painful a woman might go through!! But good luck

Been a heavy few months for me for various reasons & Sunday night I let off steam big time.

I never want to feel like that again....
                It can be done and is well worth it but the first month or 2 was hard for me, so be prepared to go through the pain and the constant whining questions of drinkers who can't understand why you're not drinking Oh and don't stop socializing else you'll feel like you're missing out.
                Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                X