• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just curious

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macs at home. At my most recent ClientCo I had a Windows box (not sure which version, it was the one that turns into Windows Phone if you press the wrong key or put the mouse pointer too near some arbitrary area of the screen) but all my actual work was done on a RHEL VM via remote desktop.

Comment

Macs at home. Android n the phone. Running Office 365 and Outlook so can generally integrate into Client Co. eco systems if needed. With current Client Co. I WFH 2 days a week and the windows laptop stays in the bag.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Win10 on home PCs, Win7 on ClientCo laptop. OSX on Mac.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Win10 and Win7 primarily at home (some Linux VM's for certain stuff.) Win7 on project A provided laptop but primarily working on big Linux systems so putty is tool of choice. Project B is Linux as host with various other guest OS'es (although a couple of weeks ago I had 2 servers running OS/2 which I had to configure!)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Doze 10 & 7 on laptops

2003 on the server.

Routers, HTPC & IOT are UNIX.

Tablets Android (yep its Unix)
            Linux etc are not Unix...

The Register of UNIX® Certified Products

Comment

So IBM AIX 7.n isn't UNIX either, I missed that memo.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                I wouldn't worry too much about AIX in the not too distant future with IBM now making Linux the OS of choice for Power systems...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  You missed out "Actually, it's GNU/Linux" and "Actually, Linux is the name of the kernel"

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                    It's oft said that AIX isn't a true Unix, as everything in the Unix standard has to be a file, but the ODM in AIX is a database. IBM must have had the clout to get it on the list though in the past...

Comment

Ubuntu and windows 10 at home. Ubuntu laptop is the more expensive one as it will be going for years.

Current client uses windows 7. However last clients have either used Macs or allowed me to use my own laptop.

So I have to be able to use any OS on the desktop.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X