• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK general forum is tulip.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Still, in the great scheme of things, does it really matter if CUK General ends up losing its reputation for intellectual repartee? I guess not.

Lose its what????
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In the past it was perfectly possible to passionately disagree with certain posters on a variety of topics, yet be closely allied to them on other issues.
      I blame Brexit for it.

Comment

CUK General has now descended into a sort of entrenched Western Front of divided opinions.
        In the past it was perfectly possible to passionately disagree with certain posters on a variety of topics, yet be closely allied to them on other issues.
        Each discussion was individually analysed and personal positions taken and defended. This, naturally, involved a fair amount of research by all who wished to take a rational and active part in the debates, and a great deal of wit and banter would then ensue which most, if not all, protagonists relished.
        What has happened now is that the levels of research have gone through the floor, and too many posters simply resort to siding with whoever it was that agreed with them on whatever the last contentious argument was all about. It is a lazy stance for the most part but has come about due to the fact that there are way too many inexperienced contributors that are much more comfortable when they have ensconced themselves in a tiny virtuous cocoon of like-minded zealots.
        Rather than take the bold step of using a bit of original thinking, it becomes much easier to simply go with the flow of whichever poster happens to be de rigeur at any given time.
        I suppose they have much more important issues to be wrestling with, like going on facebook or Instagram to report to their circle of friends just whatever it was that they had for lunch, but it does nothing for the quality of debate on CUK.
        The whole problem is not helped by heavy-handed and inconsistent moderation of course, but I suppose you get what you pay for in that regard.
        It seems to be a gradual and unavoidable decline, and has resulted in the loss of many valued contributors over the last couple of years.
        Still, in the great scheme of things, does it really matter if CUK General ends up losing its reputation for intellectual repartee? I guess not.

The key to the right of the centre of the keyboard, ENTER or RETURN allows you to put a space between paragraphs that makes it easier for others to read.

Thanks you for listening (see that was an ENTER above)

Oh look and another

Thanks MF

(Two more above, see how much easier it is to read)
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          The key to the right of the centre of the keyboard, ENTER or RETURN allows you to put a space between paragraphs that makes it easier for others to read.

Thanks you for listening (see that was an ENTER above)

Oh look and another

Thanks MF

(Two more above, see how much easier it is to read)

Thank you for your input.

Will this help?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Lose its what????
            Ask your accountant.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I suppose they have much more important issues to be wrestling with, like going on facebook or Instagram to report to their circle of friends just whatever it was that they had for lunch, but it does nothing for the quality of debate on CUK.
              Mac & Cheese Pot Noodle for lunch....

Comment

General has always been a mix of ******* and well...
                Me, me, me...

Comment

CUK General has now descended into a sort of entrenched Western Front of divided opinions.

Each discussion was individually analysed and personal positions taken and defended.

This, naturally, involved a fair amount of research by all who wished to take a rational and active part in the debates, and a great deal of wit and banter would then ensue which most, if not all, protagonists relished.

What has happened now is that the levels of research have gone through the floor, and too many posters simply resort to siding with whoever it was that agreed with them on whatever the last contentious argument was all about.

It is a lazy stance for the most part but has come about due to the fact that there are way too many inexperienced contributors that are much more comfortable when they have ensconced themselves in a tiny virtuous cocoon of like-minded zealots.

Rather than take the bold step of using a bit of original thinking, it becomes much easier to simply go with the flow of whichever poster happens to be de rigeur at any given time.

The whole problem is not helped by heavy-handed and inconsistent moderation of course, but I suppose you get what you pay for in that regard.

It seems to be a gradual and unavoidable decline, and has resulted in the loss of many valued contributors over the last couple of years.

In the debates, it’s missing the capacity to understand the other’s positions.

It’s missing “I disagree with you because [solid arguments]”, using sarcasm, irony, cretinism or twisting will kill the debate.

I don’t know the CKU in the past but it's possible that the posters who would like a good debate, start to get bored and avoid the debates and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I blame Brexit for it.

I blame it on the boogie.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      I blame it on the boogie.
                      You are Shaggy and I claim my five 'wasn't me up against the window' claims.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X