• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a 2nd hand car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 2nd hand car

Hi,

Any advice on buying a 2nd hand car? Most likely will buy from a trade seller. In case anyone cares it's not a Porsche, going for a XC90 to fit all the damn kids.

Thanks

VC

Look on Autotrader. How old are you thinking?
    Do you live in the countryside?
    For me I'd choose a bigger engine and not low profile tyres (if you live in the country you'll understand). Check the service history, make sure the mileage is reasonable for the age and work out what you need vs what you want.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Look on Autotrader. How old are you thinking?
      Do you live in the countryside?
      For me I'd choose a bigger engine and not low profile tyres (if you live in the country you'll understand). Check the service history, make sure the mileage is reasonable for the age and work out what you need vs what you want.
      Only using Autotrader.

No city boy. Doubt it will get much use, don't use it for current contract and the wife can't drive. Just for weekend stuff.

Hoping to get something less than 6 yrs old and around 60-70k mileage. FSH is a must.

Comment

How many seats do you need?
        With an XC90, will you get the seats to match your flat cap, and a slipper compartment under the driver's seat?

Comment

6 - 2 adults and 4 kids (all very young). XC90 is appealing as good safety and also boot space. And the added benefit of not looking like an Uber driver

Comment

You actually have quite a lot of rights when buying second hand cars from dealers so are pretty well protected from ending up with a ringer/heap of junk. You run the risk of buying something with wear and tear items near the end of their life that you can't spot immediately but that's life. Getting something that's 3, maybe 4 years old lessens the risk that they've traded it in to get rid of a problem but you can never really remove that risk. FSH and maybe getting the AA et al to look at it if you are putting a fair amount of money down can help.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Personally I'd pay a little more and get from a bigger chain rather than the one man places. The can come with some kind of warranty included for a short term (although it's probably covered in the extra you pay from a dealer like this). I'd also not buy the cheapest one I can find. I'd rather a more expensive previous model rather than opting for the cheapest of the new model etc but that could be false economy. Just makes me feel a little better about it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup, AA inspection is a must.

Hoping the car will last 10 yrs - so spending a couple extra thousand might be worth getting a decent model from a reputable dealer

Comment

You could always look at one of the Volvo owners forums on the web, and see is anyone is selling theirs.

You normally get to look through their post history too and see if they have had any problems with it.

Cuts out the dealer margin.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  Hi,

Any advice on buying a 2nd hand car? Most likely will buy from a trade seller. In case anyone cares it's not a Porsche, going for a XC90 to fit all the damn kids.

Thanks

VC
                  I wanted a seven seater, went for the Qashqai+2 over the XC90, all the bells and whistles you can imagine and it came out a lot cheaper than the Volvo
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Buying a 2nd hand car

Mitsubishi Outlander?
                    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01605284399383
                    (Or a Shogun)

Toyota Landcruiser?
                    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01608247090171

Comment

Working...
                    X