• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you could work anywhere...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe get something in Europe for WFH and rent your UK house.

If you work it right you can get the house redone tax free 6 months before you return.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      I try and go down in June or September; the weather is typically better and restaurants aren't full.
      I was in Trebarwith Strand the other day & it was mayhem.

Comment

Technically speaking you will be running a business in all the countries you visit, but if they're short stays they'll just assume you're a tourist, I wouldn't spend more than a few weeks in each country.

One absolutely foolproof way of doing this would be to book a luxury cruise, or travel back and forth across the Atlantic on a container ship.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

One absolutely foolproof way of doing this would be to book a luxury cruise, or travel back and forth across the Atlantic on a container ship.

And the charges you'd incur from using the broadband would make the most eye watering tax regime look attractive

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            I was in Trebarwith Strand the other day & it was mayhem.
            Full of emmets or locals not used to sunshine at that time of year?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You only have to put up with that for 8 weeks a year, at which point you'd rent something in Perranporth and pay off the yearly mortgage on your Newquay property via AirBnB.
              I think I'd rather just be in Perranporth all year round - actually I'd rather be on the Lizard somewhere but that's not the point

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              Yes, whenever I visit my folks near Truro during the summer months, it's nigh on impossible taking them out for dinner.

People literally sit in their cars in the pub car parks half an hour before the pub opens.

That's if you even make it to the pub. Navigating the narrow, windy lanes when they are chocabloc with people with no reversing skills ain't for the faint hearted.
              I spent the entire school summer holiday in West Cornwall in 2016 and expecting it to be horrendous was pleasantly surprised. Booked places a day or two in advance, went to the local pubs for a drink, all fine. I mean we weren't in St. Ives (although the day we went we found a nice cafe easily enough) but apart from the day we drove to the Eden project even most of the roads were OK. Possibly local knowledge helps though. And you're right about the tiny country lanes

I try and go down in June or September; the weather is typically better and restaurants aren't full.
              I'd say April/May and September are the best months, spring is gorgeous and September is probably the least unpredictable. Apparently though September is getting busier as more people come then to avoid the rush!

Are you from down there? Sounds like you know it well, which part particularly?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Full of emmets or locals not used to sunshine at that time of year?
                New Years swim in the sea going on.

Couldn't believe how many masochists were partaking.

We watched from the pub cradling pints of Mena Dhu.

Actually, make that tried not to watch. All that white pappy flesh wasn't a pleasant spectacle.

Comment

Mmm, Mena Dhu.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    California is perfect for working in the balmy outdoors...
                    Absolutely, and being right on the San Andreas fault San Francisco is the perfect "vibrant city" for ladymuck.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The weather in the Bay is pretty crappy though, SF anyway. If you wanted mist you could just go to Wales.

Comment

Working...
                      X