• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: Britain in front seat for trade deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    When are you duncy Brexiters realise we have nothing to trade? WE DON'T MAKE ANYTHING MUCH.

... well in that case we wouldn't need a trade deal would we?

A services deal is what we would want.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      ... well in that case we wouldn't need a trade deal would we?

A services deal is what we would want.
      Yes. America under a protectionist Trump is really going to let Britain further into its services market.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Services makes up 80-90% of the economy. Most of which goes to the US and EU. The rest of the world (particularly the fastest growing economies of India and China) aren't really interested in our services, as they have protected economies.
        With Trump promising more protectionism it's hard to imagine a great trade deal for UK services is going to come. I've spent the last 5 years working for US companies, and it's largely because we're cheaper and able to undercut the US worker.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          With Trump promising more protectionism it's hard to imagine a great trade deal for UK services is going to come. I've spent the last 5 years working for US companies, and it's largely because we're cheaper and able to undercut the US worker.
          In fact I suspect he'll tighten up access.
          There will be squeeze from both our major trading partners, one end of that squeeze is purely self-inflicted.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Britain in 'front seat' for U.S. trade deal, top Republican says | Reuters

Fook you Obama and your back of the queue rhetoric.
            I'm thinking the negotiations might go like this:

1. Take the front seat.
            2. Here's the deal.
            3. Sign on the dotted line.
            4. F*** off.
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Is there a working airbag in that front seat??? It will be needed

Comment

In fact I suspect he'll tighten up access.
                There will be squeeze from both our major trading partners, one end of that squeeze is purely self-inflicted.
                He will tell India to bring back Range Rover jobs or else

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  We've a pretty big economy for a country who doesn't have anything to sell.
                  It's already like 30% smaller that 6 months ago

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    They do. Bit of old Boris bollocks there. Ages ago we heard that that the UK would be first, then we heard that they wouldn't, then first again and so on and on and on...
                    You do know that politicians do a lot of posturing don't you? A lot of it is just soundbites to suit the moment and to impress someone or other. The EU and commission are rife with it too: we're going to punish those horrible Brits. How dare they leave our party early! How dare they!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I'm not sure what a services trade deal would look like with the US anyway. Anecdotally, I deal with US clients all the time, and a trade deal wouldn't help in my area. I can see it being of use in areas where regulations are strongly divergent (generally in areas that are strongly regulated), because services trade deals are all about negotiating regulatory standards. However, US standards are close to ours in many areas. As an aside, this is precisely why we can't remain a member of the EEA if we want to develop trade deals that matter (i.e. for services). We already do an extraordinary amount of trade with the US (largest single country). Would a trade deal help much? I haven't read any expert analysis, so I reserve judgement to some extent. Trading with the US is already much simpler than the EU in many ways, although insurance remains a PITA (more litigious in the US). Not all of us are cheaper though But they do pay more...for skilled permies too, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X