• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That stored energy lagoon project might actually go ahead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stored energy lagoon project might actually go ahead

Tidal lagoon: £1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed - BBC News

I didn't think it would get the go-ahead but it is sounding like it might now.
    I like the fact it's very low-tech which means it should be predictable what energy we actually get out of the thing.

I'm a little dubious that we never (and nobody ever) seems to have done it before... it's a simple idea so why not?

Impact-wise I wouldn't want to see our coasts ringed with concrete walls but it seems it can open up new spaces for use. And I don't know how big these things need to be - windmills we need to cover the whole country so would we need to encase the entire coast-line or something much less dramatic?

Any thoughts beyond the predictable "it's green and I like green so it's good" / "it's green so it's stupid" knee-jerk reactions? The BBC article suggested it might work out comparably expensive to the new Hinkley project for instance - is that good or bad? Is innovating in this field good for UK's dealings with other nations? etc etc
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It's CUK, we only do knee jerk reactions.

It will never work - i.e. it will break / fall apart and cost a fortune and then at some point be abandoned, the tax-payer will pick up the bill.

Comment

We're pretty good at building sea-walls and such things in the UK... we have a lot of practice

I share your cynicism over actually getting the damn thing built on time/budget though.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38571240]

I'm a little dubious that we never (and nobody ever) seems to have done it before... it's a simple idea so why not?
        It's a simple idea ( get energy from the sea ) but not a simple implementation.

Comment

watched both the videos, and the final comments, anglers are worried about the effect it will have on wildlife ffs

they should have built the severn barrage years ago - it's a no brainer

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            watched both the videos, and the final comments, anglers are worried about the effect it will have on wildlife ffs

they should have built the severn barrage years ago - it's a no brainer

Milan.
            Wouldn't all those new walls be perfect for fishing off?

Comment

Possibly not with your average trawler

Comment

Seems like a good idea but the Severn barrage and other HEP projects on major rivers with strong tidal flows and minimal river traffic would be better imho.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

And also for cycling around, apparently.

EDIT: along, rather than around.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                    And also for cycling around, apparently.

EDIT: along, rather than around.
                    Nice edit, just before the fish with a bike joke.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X