• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No spare parts...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the growth in technology will slow down as all the new ideas get exhausted. In a few hundred years you may be able to get parts for models that are decades old because the manufacturers won't be able to come up with any significant innovations.

If you think that sounds daft, a few months back I gave a working, hardly used arc welder to a local charity. I was going to chuck it because, although it was in mint condition, it was decades old and I thought no one would want it. Then I found the manufacturer was still making the exact same model. You could get manuals, repairs, auxiliary equipment, gas bottles and spare parts from them.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The boiler in my old house had so many spare parts put into it that it was almost like the proverbial broom whose head and handle have been replaced many times. When my plumber serviced it, I'd check every year whether he could still get parts for it and so never needed to replace it (his argument being that any efficiency saving would not be repaid before a new boiler needed replacing so I may as well stick with it). Most of the time those parts were refurbs, harvested from old kit.

It's the sort of thing one of those dusty old shops would stock, run by some old geezer surrounded by broken radios and goodness knows what else. A veritable cornucopia of tat but so very, very handy. Such a shame that our throw away society doesn't make those places viable any more.

I have a Cannon Harrogate cooker in storage in my Gran's garage. Lovely cooker.

Comment

I used to love wandering round places like that. Brought an old prism from a submarine once. Bliss.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It's the sort of thing one of those dusty old shops would stock, run by some old geezer called xoggoth/zeitghost, surrounded by broken radios/spaceships and goodness knows what else. A veritable cornucopia of tat but so very, very handy.
          ftfy
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Our cooker went bang a couple of weeks ago and we got an engineer out. He thought it was a couple of things, so he ordered the replacements and came out today to fit them.
            They didn't fix the problem, but on further investigation he finds that the main PCB has blown.
            I take it it is actually blown, or is that the "engineer"'s next guess?
            The trouble is too any "engineers" just change things until suddenly the thing works.

If it's not physically fried it might be worth taking it out, cleaning and reseating any connectors and seeing if that works.
            Worth a try if the alternative is to replace the cooker......

Comment

Three burn marks under the PCB, something(s) are blown.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

send it to Zeity with a crate of beer, it might come back fixed.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  send it to Zeity with a crate of beer, it might come back fixed.
                  Zeit'll Fix It?

Oh, hang on....maybe not :Eek:

Comment

Go on, let's see a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      You could always invite darmstadt round to take a look. He may not be able to fix it, but at least it would get you over the "no spare parts" hurdle.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      yeah but Daarmy is Broken!
                      I see Roy 'Chubby' Brown and his sidekick Bernard Manning are on form today....
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X