• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Judgement Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything except 11-0 makes a joke of the legal system and proves how it was correct to challenge.

If they state the devolved administrations can block then we go have a bit of a crisis and posdible GE.

More significant may be this morning's reports that the Government's lawyers are advising a longer than hoped for bill to avoid issues further down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      Anything except 11-0 makes a joke of the legal system and proves how it was correct to challenge.

If they state the devolved administrations can block then we go have a bit of a crisis and posdible GE.

More significant may be this morning's reports that the Government's lawyers are advising a longer than hoped for bill to avoid issues further down the line.
      What of split decisions in Jury trials? Are those also a joke?

Come on, we all know some areas of law of subjective, 2 people can analyze the same evidence and come to different conclusions. If that was not the case, then why would we even bother to have an appeals systems? If we go by your logic all judges at all levels of the judiciary should come to exactly the same conclusions based on the evidence before them.

Comment

You do come out with some absolute tripe.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          I think the Supreme Court will conclude that devolved assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to consent/ratify. In which case, brexit is over. Hotel California.
          Even though I support remain, I really hope the devolved nations don't get a veto. That will just lead to more cries of 'The establishment have denied us Brexit blah blah', and actually strengthen the position of UKIP and their ilk.

Comment

Judgement Day

Originally posted by sirja View Post

Come on, we all know some areas of law of subjective, 2 people can analyze the same evidence and come to different conclusions. If that was not the case, then why would we even bother to have an appeals systems? If we go by your logic all judges at all levels of the judiciary should come to exactly the same conclusions based on the evidence before them.
            The difference between a panel of judges and a jury is that the former are experts. Juries must not have legal training (you are tried by your peers).

I don't have the same issues about a split decision, and I suspect it will be a split decision. As effectively this is an interpretation of law than an absolute like identifying a new element on the periodic table.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post

And split decision would suggest that in this instance the result was dependent upon which judge you got.

Most cases have a single judge who is the legal expert. In this case we have 11 who are basically giving opinions.

I would rather lose 11-0 than 7-4.
              Last edited by GB9; 24 January 2017, 09:34.

Comment

52% thought those were the x-factor judges...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

YEESS!!!!!

Take that you swivelled eyed loontastic brexiters
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

And split decision would suggest that in this instance the result was dependent upon which judge you got.
                    The UK relies on Common law and precedent rather than a corpus of written law (as in many other countries).
                    As there is no precedent for the current situation I wouldn't expect unanimity.
                    Hence why there's a panel of eminent jurists to discuss and decide.
                    It's the same principle by which rthe country is governed, through the cabinet, committees and such like as opposed to a being a one person dictatorship
                    Because the world is not binary despite what some intellectually limited cretins think.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well parliament has to vote on Article 50.
                      But I think that makes no difference.
                      It will all happen by March 31st as planned.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X