• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch out pedestrians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    No, the problem is that local authorities waste money providing crap infrastructure that is not fit for purpose.

I don't think I'm too fast for the path, I KNOW I'm too fast for the path. The Highway Code advises using the ride above a certain speed and I don't think pedestrians should have to dive out of the way of a maniac doing 20mph on a bike.
    No it doesn't.

There are no speed limits for cycle paths in the Highway Code. It is up to each authority to set speed limits in their bylaws.

So far I only know one authority who has set one but that is in enclosed spaces and is not official as in there are signs on their paths but not in an act.

So you can go fast as you like on any cycle path as long as you aren't knocking other people down.

In fact speed limits you see on roads don't apply to push bikes either as they aren't motorised vehicles.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No it doesn't.

There are no speed limits for cycle paths in the Highway Code. It is up to each authority to set speed limits in their bylaws.

So far I only know one authority who has set one but that is in enclosed spaces and is not official as in there are signs on their paths but not in an act.

So you can go fast as you like on any cycle path as long as you aren't knocking other people down.

In fact speed limits you see on roads don't apply to push bikes either as they aren't motorised vehicles.
      I didn't say there was a speed limit. I know that speed limits don't apply to bikes.

I thought there was advice in the HWC to use the road above a certain speed but maybe I read that somewhere else. Roadcraft perhaps? They certainly aren't designed for higher speeds.

Either way I think there's a common sense limit to riding on shared paths and it depends on the path design, size and how busy it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        I didn't say there was a speed limit. I know that speed limits don't apply to bikes.
        No you stated the Highway Code mentions speed limits for bikes when it doesn't.

You were already questioned why you don't use cycle lanes and mentioned different speed limits when the real issue is safety - yours and other people's.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          No you stated the Highway Code mentions speed limits for bikes when it doesn't.

You were already questioned why you don't use cycle lanes and mentioned different speed limits when the real issue is safety - yours and other people's.
          I thought it *advised* using the road above certain speeds. I wasn't trying to imply there was any kind of legal speed limit.

Like I said, I must have seen the advisory limit somewhere else.

Speed is not the only issue here anyway, or even the main issue. The main issue with cycling paths and shared use paths is that they are often woefully inadequate. I don't have to use them, so I won't if they are inconvenient or I feel they are unsafe.

Comment

Working...
          X