• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK/US trade deal that cuts tariffs and allows workers to move between the US and UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there's a general misconception about how the movement of people is addressed in a typical trade deal between developed economies. The concept of free movement is a complete anomaly. Rather, immigration is typically part of a wider discussion about non-tariff barriers, such as the recognition of professional standards and qualifications. When dealing with less-developed economies, the constraints on numbers can be a pressure point (e.g. India would expect more visas to be allocated for students and business), but it's generally a non-issue when removing barriers to trade between advanced economies. However, I do agree with the sentiment that a trade deal with the US may not be in our favour, or even necessary. It depends on the focus. If it has a limited scope, targeting tariff barriers on imports/exports of specific products that are already heavily traded, it should be quick and fairly uncontroversial, but the US is a notoriously tough negotiator.

Comment

Not to mention opening up the UK market to US Food and Agriculture business.

Lots of lovely US Prime Beef, full of all those lovely hormones and anti-biotics that we don't allow over here. Among other things.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Lots of lovely US Prime Beef, full of all those lovely hormones and anti-biotics that we don't allow over here. Among other things.
        That's what people voted for in that referendum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Yet you'll work in another country suffering from terrorist incidents. How odd.

Not right now for me, but I wouldn't say no to a 12-month gig in the US at some point.
          The US is wonderful although obviously very, very varied. Certainly a nice change and I think the idea of working there a year or two or three is one anyone should seriously consider if it was an option (and paid well enough and was in a nice area etc).

We seriously considered it after living for 6 weeks between Oakland and and Berkeley (Lake Merit); California is a great place. Although I reckon I might prefer somewhere like Maine longer term.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sound familiar ?

we cannot separate free movement of people from the free flow of goods, services and investments
            UK post-Brexit trade deal with India threatened by Theresa May's visa crackdown | The Independent

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The US is wonderful although obviously very, very varied. Certainly a nice change and I think the idea of working there a year or two or three is one anyone should seriously consider if it was an option (and paid well enough and was in a nice area etc).

We seriously considered it after living for 6 weeks between Oakland and and Berkeley (Lake Merit); California is a great place. Although I reckon I might prefer somewhere like Maine longer term.
              I like the look of North Carolina - there's a lot of tech firms there and it's a lot cheaper than the San Diego/Bay Area that I was originally looking at. Okay, you're not at the Mediterranean climate but it's easy to get to the beach for the weekend from Raleigh and Charlotte.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                These things will always to the US's advantage with very little given to the other side. I would expect US nationals to be given visa-free access, while the UK will still have to abide by the H1B visa scheme.

The US have never given away anything that is not in the US's national interest and I certainly don't expect them to do so now.
                ^^
                This.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  That's what people voted for in that referendum!!!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What's the difference between America and a yogurt?

After two weeks a yogurt will develop a culture.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I just checked the NAFTA freedom of movement rules, and basically any skilled professionals from Mexico and Canada are free to take up job offers in the US. No green card required. I couldn't find any professions it didn't cover.

It is clear that the freedom of movement in the UK far from being restricted is going to be massively expanded. How ironic.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X